• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 7.8L diesel engine

ChevyKenworth

Any of you guys have any experience with the ford 7.8L diesel engine and how strong they are?
I have came across a ford l8000 with a jasper reman 7.8L and 13 speed transmission for sale, If I decided to get the truck it will be used to haul my equipment around.
How do you guys think the truck would do at hauling a cat 312 or 315 sized track hoe or a 953 track loader?

excavator

Like any engine, you will find those who like them and those who don't. I have several set at 210HP and they are virtually un-breakable, a bit underpowered but they have great tourque. They can be pushed up to 270HP and that seems a bit more than they can handle on a long term basis. Do you know what this one is set at? I would think if it is some where at 240-250HP with a 13 speed it should haul a 312-315 Cat ok.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have no idea where to get parts for them any more, but they seem to never need them either. If you are OK with the lower power compared with a modern truck I would go for it. They have a very nice driving feel and torque curve to them and they start up instantly in the freezing cold.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
These motors are as durable as a DT466 and pull just as well. The biggest issue is v-belt related, you will be constantly tightening the belts on it. The only other thing will be parts for that Louisville cab, it ain't pretty when it comes to finding Ford parts for them. Western Star or Freightliner dealers are the source for parts on Louisvilles.

Joeyslushr

As long as it doesn't fixing they're great. But if they do it can get ugly. I had fuel pump off one this spring and it was 3000$ to fix the pump and new injectors. Pump shop said parts are getting harder to find. Injectors took a day to get out...rusted in, had to make a puller. And ford parts are wwway over priced. Makes up for the lower purchase price compared to the main stream brands...

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Have been running on in a ford f-800 for 4 years now, awesome little motor. Truck is a single axle dump w/ air to the rear and I pull a lot of 20 ton tag with it. I can get 12.6 mpg with a combo weight of 45k. Its about all done at 50k pounds of weight though, mind you I have the 5x2 tranny, not a 13, and I live in a rather hilly spot.

I would rather have the 7.8 than a 3126 cat that was turned up, a silver 92 Detroit, or the 360 ih diesels... I think the 466 is pretty even with it. Perfection would be the L10 cummins but the little 7.8 is a good little motor.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'd rather have a Silver 92. Better support, rebuildable, more power, Jake brakes possible, just a higher class of engine altogether.

But we have to take what we can get on the used market.

Otherwise I agree with what you said.

Dickjr.

I've got a 7.8 with the intercooler , which lets you go up to 270. Mine is at 240. I have a 6 speed , which my low is not low enough and my high is not high enough. The engine is great. Fuel efficient and starts well in cold weather. On the prior post I don't know why the injection pump and injectors were so high. It uses the pencil type which are as cheap as any and the pump is a bosch used on several things. A total pump rebuild that may not be out to far. I would buy another one in a heart beat.