• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ford 655 d

jughead

Occupation
retired
this thing has had a bouncy boom for a few years. i thought the bottom pins or bushings were worn. watching it today and if one drops the boom and catches it with the levers the boom cylinder rod is what is moving in and out of the cylinder about 1/2 in. fluid doesnt compress. any ideas out there today.

jughead

Occupation
retired
i have "operated" 5 different hoes and a couple of trackhoes and never run into this. any suggestions on how to remove air if it is. the system is full of oil.

shopteacher 1

I agree with El Hombe - it sounds like air in the line - Just like air in a brake line will make your brakes spongy. Also, I wonder if the rings on the piston in the cylinder hare bad and fluid is getting on the other side of the piston?

John

jughead

Occupation
retired
it was my understanding that there is fluid on both sides of the piston at all times just greater pressure according to which way it is going. if it is air looks like it would have bled its self out by now. my big concern is could it be the nut on the end of the shaft backing off? not trying to argue looking for any and all suggestions. i have been an auto tech for over 40 years and in that time span this old man has seen some weird stuff happen.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Jug I think you got it right ...Boom cylinder piston is loose .

jughead

Occupation
retired
thanks guys for the suggestions. loose nut seems probable. have only put about 450 hours on it in 5 years guess i will watch it closely and go from there

El Hombre

it was my understanding that there is fluid on both sides of the piston at all times just greater pressure according to which way it is going. if it is air looks like it would have bled its self out by now. my big concern is could it be the nut on the end of the shaft backing off? not trying to argue looking for any and all suggestions. i have been an auto tech for over 40 years and in that time span this old man has seen some weird stuff happen.

I've never seen the inside of a hydraulic cylinder, is it the end of the shaft in the piston or is it the shaft threading into the clevis? The end that's coming loose? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the shaft unthreading would cause a bounce, the thread is still engaged, if it wasn't, he couldn't move the boom up and down.

I've never had air in my hydraulics, but from what I've seen here, it tends to flush out if you work the controls enough. Kind of like cranking the steering wheel lock to lock to bleed a power steering pump or gear.

jughead

Occupation
retired
i think the piston slides on the shaft in the cylinder and is held on with a big nut. if the nut works loose then the piston can move on the shaft which MAYBE could cause the bouncing boom. never had one apart myself.

DGODGR

Jughead, you are correct. The piston is attatched to the end of the rod (the chromed part that slides in and out of the cylinder). If the nut starts to back off it can allow unwanted movement and can damage the threads if left to continue. This may or may not be the issue but you are correct in your thinking regarding cylinder design.