• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555C alternator not charging...

Tags

Looking for a little help since this is not a strong area for me...a little backstory, a friend of mine owned this machine and passed away, I told the family, who lives forever and a day away, I would help sell and repair a few small issues before selling this machine. He had told me it needed an alternator years ago. I put a new battery in it and it fired right up, tested the battery while running and only got 12.5 volts, no difference when turned off. I replaced the alternator and it still is not charging. I hooked it up the way it had been hooked up, but who knows if that's right or not. Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated!

Tractor # A403307
Model DF9P1Z
Unit 9E09B
The tag also says "Made in Belgium"

Delmer

That little excite wire goes through the warning lamp on the dash, does this have a low voltage/battery warning lamp? and does it light up when you turn the key on, and when running since the alternator isn't working?

Tags

It does not light up. The only light that comes on when the key is turned to on not to start is the oil pressure light and it goes off after it’s started. I will take the cover off that holds the idiot lights and have a look around. Thanks so much for the help

edgephoto

If the bulb is burnt out alternator will not excite. This was a common issue on older cars as well. There are 1-wire alternators. They do not have a warning light so you will need to rely on a volt gauge to tell if it is working.

Coytee

My JCB hasn't charged for years (like 15) so I made it a habit of putting it on a charger every now & then. Took alternator out several times and it always came back "works ok".

My brother in law recently visited. He's more knowledgable than I am on electronics. He tested this & that, finally ascertaining that I had a broken wire somewhere in my harness. I could replace the harness to try to find it or, he jumped a wire from "here to there" (still not sure what he did as I've not looked). He assures me that it will fire right up (which it does) and will now be charging the battery. I did notice that all the lights now work so he's done something.

I replaced the wiring harness on my tractor (open station International 1066) and it wasn't difficult to do, just had to pay attention. Since this has a cab, I figured I'd give the new wire trick a try first and if this lasts, I'm done with it. If not, I'll then look into a new harness (all the wires are getting old)

DaveB582

I've also got a 555C that isn't charging. The dash lamp glows dim when the engine is running. I pulled the dash apart and found a 194 bulb had been retrofit (I assume) in place of the bulb that mounts directly into the circuit board. When I shorted the bulb out the voltage at the B+ terminal on the alternator went from 12 to 14, so I'm thinking the bulb was the issue. Does anyone have the bulb type that is supposed to be in the dash? Jim would you be able to send me electrical diagrams as well? dbruuls(at)cogeco.ca