• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555a backhoe

jimg984

I recently purchased this backhoe. It has a popping sound coming from the stableazers as they start touching the ground and rasing the backhoe. its coming from each side where the pins attach them to the frame. there is extra movement, i can't tell if the pins are broken or if the arms where the pins go thru have wear. there are no grease fitting in this erea, if these have wear enough to cause that much movement must not have bushing installed from the factory. all other pins and bushing have little wear. I need input on what maybe going on with this

thanks jimg984
Ronda, North Carolina

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Knock the pins out jimg, then you'll have a better view of what to do to fix it. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Remove stabilizer cylinders, take them to a machine shop, have them bore the pin bosses oversize, and make a brass bushing to fit in oversized hole that puts you back to correct size to fit pins. Oh yeah, have them install a grease fitting.

jimg984

thank you ATCOEQUIP for your reply,,, was wondering if a machine shop could do that, yes on bushings and grease fitting, maybe hard steel bushings lots of dirt drops in this erea from foot pads when rasied up do you know if this engine would have glow plug/plugs for cold start and where they maybe located?

thks again jimg984

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It's been a while since I've worked on a Ford, don't remember if they used glow plugs.