1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ford 555a backhoe

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by jimg984, Dec 5, 2009.

1. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

I recently purchased this backhoe. It has a popping sound coming from the stableazers as they start touching the ground and rasing the backhoe. its coming from each side where the pins attach them to the frame. there is extra movement, i can't tell if the pins are broken or if the arms where the pins go thru have wear. there are no grease fitting in this erea, if these have wear enough to cause that much movement must not have bushing installed from the factory. all other pins and bushing have little wear. I need input on what maybe going on with this

thanks jimg984
    Ronda, North Carolina

2. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    Knock the pins out jimg, then you'll have a better view of what to do to fix it. :)

3. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

ths Steve for your reply looks to be cast iron wear due to like of factory installed bushing in the stabeilizers

4. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    Remove stabilizer cylinders, take them to a machine shop, have them bore the pin bosses oversize, and make a brass bushing to fit in oversized hole that puts you back to correct size to fit pins. Oh yeah, have them install a grease fitting.

5. jimg984

jimg984 Senior Member

thank you ATCOEQUIP for your reply,,, was wondering if a machine shop could do that, yes on bushings and grease fitting, maybe hard steel bushings lots of dirt drops in this erea from foot pads when rasied up do you know if this engine would have glow plug/plugs for cold start and where they maybe located?

thks again jimg984

6. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    It's been a while since I've worked on a Ford, don't remember if they used glow plugs.