• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
I just bought what i was told is a 1979 555 ford i think it may be a little newer, it has a cab, the meter says 6400 hrs, and it has backhoe contols rather than 4 stick. it was owned by a time share resort and never used hard, it'ss not perfect but above average. We have another backhoe and this one won't be used alot,it will be more for working around home and loading hay. I was wondering if anyone else has one and what you think of it, any thing i need to watch on this model. and wondering what you all think this should be worth i'll take some guesses and then tell what i paid. Tanks for looking.

Check Break

Check your coolant pH. Drain and replace coolant and additive if its not right. This is cheap insurance and easier than replacing an engine with cavitation erosion. Grease the pump drive now and every 50 hours. Two pumps per u-joint. If the drive is beyond grease, install a new fan belt when you replace the pump drive. Check your hydraulic and transmission fluids. If they're dirty, new fluid and filters. Grease your front axle pivot pin and front wheel bearings. Clean all diesel soaked dirt off the top of the fuel tank and head. You don't want any diesel & dirt around the battery. Check the injector return line for leaks. The rest of the damage should be visible. Grease her and use her.

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
Thank's. I have done about all of that and done all of the normal stuff when you buy a new piece of equipment. What do you think this machine would be worth in your area?

Shenandoah

What do you think this machine would be worth in your area?

Here's a method I use when curiousity strikes about a given value people place on items...go to http://zoomthelist.com/ and in the search box in the upper left-hand area type in the keyword you want to search for.

In your case, type in Ford 555 leaving the other two fields at their default values, then click the '"search" button right under those three fields. This will bring up the craigslist ads nationwide for that item and give you a very good sense of how people in different areas value the object in question.