• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4500 differential lock pedal

HardmanGT

when you have wheel spin, stomp the pedal and it will engage the diff lock. When the tire spin stops the diff lock will disengage automatically

Delmer

On most models (mechanical locking ones) you DON'T want to engage it with one wheel spinning and the other stalled, you want to let the wheels stop and hold the pedal down until you're clear. It's fine to engage with the wheels moving roughly the same speed.

Assuming it's mechanical (not hydraulic clutch pack) it engages pins inside the differential to lock it so both wheels turn together, once engaged it will hold until the wheels equalize torque and release on it's own, like how you can shift out of gear when there's no load on the transmission but not when the engine is working or being worked.

mitch504

A 4500 is mechanical. It will definitely last longer if you get out of the throttle and let the wheel stop spinning before you engage it.

Snuff

Sorry for bustin' in here, but I don't have the diff. lock "pedal"...there is a lever in that position and I can feel it has spring tension on it. Could that be the diff. lock? I have a Sims cab mounted.

Thanks,
Dave

Delmer

Could be? The MF's had a lever to the right of the seat. When you're on a loose surface pull that lever back and try to turn a circle, if it's working the machine will "fight the turn" and all the wheels will scrub the ground. Release the lever, straighten out and turn back and forth and you should hear it pop out and the differential action return.