• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4000 Wont Start

AmericanLandMgt

Ive got a Ford 4000 that has never given me any problems until now. I was grading my dirt road when I ran it out of fuel...Stupid I know. Ive done it before and I usually just crack the injectors turn it over until it starts sputtering and then tighten them back down one at a time.

This time that didnt work. I thought maybe it sucked a bunch of junk into the fuel lines and filter so I replaced the filters and took apart all the fuel lines and cleaned them out. I even cleaned out the tank with some fresh diesel. I can take off the fuel line at the injector pump and fuel gravity feeds out in a steady stream. I know its getting fuel but it just isnt pumping like it should. I dont like to use starting fluid in my equipment but I sprayed some in the intake and it would run on that for ten seconds or so but it still wont pump any fuel to the injectors. I have the lines completly off of the injectors and it dosent even dribble any fuel.

The engine has always run very strong and I always keep two fresh fuel filters on it so i really dont think its the injector pump. Am I doing something wrong priming it? I looked for a manual primer pump on the injector pump but didnt find one. Anybody have any ideas?

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
There is a small bleeder on the injection pump ..I take its a CAV pump . The bleeder Is on the side its a 5/16" hex open that bleeder and spin the motor fuel should spray.If not check your cutoff arm ..make sure you feel some resistance i.e. that its working the fork inside the pump ..I wouldn't rule out the pump stranger things have happend ..

td25c

Ford 4000

Ahhh.One of my favorite tractors! Aint much that will stop a 4000 but lack of fuel will:D I ran our 4000 out of fuel couple weeks ago.I Filled the tank up ,Crack the bleed screws until ya see fuel.Then I just open one injecter line at a time & crank the engine till I see fuel.I seems to work a little better on the CAV rotery pump.As luck would have the battery ran down before It would fire so we ended up pull starting it.Started fine in about 50 feet.

AmericanLandMgt

The bleed screw sounds like the problem. I didnt want to go taking bolts off the pump without knowing what they were for. Ive got to take feed up there tomorow so Ill take a look at it then.

Thanks for the help

Fordson dexta

CAV pumps have a very fine filter where the fuel feed pipe enters the pump near the injector pipe outlets. This filter can block. Remove the feed pipe and then the larger retaintin nut and spring and carfully remove the filter, clean and replace.

AmericanLandMgt

Went out there last night at about midnight last night and messed around with it for a few minutes. It didnt have a filter on the pump, maybe someone took it off years ago and never replaced it? But I cracked the drain, spun it over and it fired right up in about three seconds. Thanks guys you saved me a mechanics bill!