• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flux cored wire

KWD

Hello, we currently use Lincoln NR 233, (we have used NR 232 and have used Hobart Fabcore 7018), for boom/dipper/chassis repairs and have never been 100% happy with any of them, have occasional problems with holes and worm tracks, that just seem to happen though there is no change in parameters

Just wondering what others use (Nidge has mentioned Nucoelectic 2222 on another thread) and experiences and is there any other wires to try or advice

ValleyFirewood

I've never used flux core wire and I weld outside often. If it's really windy I'll bust out the 7018 rod before I'd even think about spending $$$ on flux core.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Hello, we currently use Lincoln NR 233, (we have used NR 232 and have used Hobart Fabcore 7018), for boom/dipper/chassis repairs and have never been 100% happy with any of them, have occasional problems with holes and worm tracks, that just seem to happen though there is no change in parameters

Just wondering what others use (Nidge has mentioned Nucoelectic 2222 on another thread) and experiences and is there any other wires to try or advice

My dad and I have run flux cored wire for probably close to 20 years, up to building our own trailers completely outside(one of their frames was built out of 3X4 tube that was completely airtight at the corners to make a airtank out of it). We found that the problems your having had more to do with the machine being used then the wire. When we upgraded the welder we got rid of the problems.

I've never used flux core wire and I weld outside often. If it's really windy I'll bust out the 7018 rod before I'd even think about spending $$$ on flux core.

I set a mig up running just flux core, it's faster and easier to clean then stick is, and is just as strong. Nicest thing about it is there's not bottle to worry about, and a good suitcase is so much more portable then pretty much anything but a buzzbox.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Shielding gas psi too high. Impurities- namely grease. No pre-heat. Not enough heat. Stick out too long. Wind. Slag in the nozzle. Nozzle not seated on gun.

Hobart Excel Arc 71

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In the shop - solid wire & shielding gas.
Out in the field - flux-cored wire.

On many of our large structures (e.g. shovel buckets) you can't lay down the weld fast enough even with the largest diameter electrode you can find to keep the interpass temperature sufficiently high after you've done the initial pre-heat Solution - wire.

We generally use a wire meeting AWS E71T-1 for all-position work and E70T-5 if the welds are flat or horizontal. IMHO the preference for different brands of wire by different welders is often down to personal experience. If it's always wored in the past then it's the only thing they want to use.

I haven't used a wire equivalent to Nucleotec 222 which has a 45% eleongation factor as one if its mechanical properties. There is no wire I've ever seen that will give a property like that. For that reason I tend to resrve Nucleotec 2222 electrodes for repairs that really need them as opposed to general run-of-the-mill jobs.

Reactions: DB2

dppmfg

Occupation
owner www.dppmfg.biz
Esab coresheild 11 .045 dia out of miller vs suitcase with a bobcat 250 power supply we run 2 to 3 pallets a year of it have not found anything better yet. You can look at my posts to see what we do.

Dualie

try a roll of esab coreshield 8 great notch toughness and ease of use. If your welder is cranked up near the limits your going to have a problem with it when you power supply gets maxed. 350 amp CV power supply is about the bottom end of what i can reliably run that with. we run about a 1000Lbs of FCAW wire a month. NR-232 and 233 in 0.072"