• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fluid help for '94 JD 310D

hoedugit

Greetings, I am a bit new to the Backhoe world, but I bought one for some side work. I need to top up the fluids, my question: is the hydraulic fluid for the Reverser unit the same as the hydraulic fluid for the main resavoir? Or do they take slightly different types? If I were to walk into Napa I would ask for........? (for both reverser and hyd resavoir)

thanks in advance for all help

hoedugit

J Olender

Jd 310D guy

I have an E model and it has a trans fluid filler tube and a main hydraulic filler tube. I use the same "premium" tractor fluid in both. You will be fine if you do the same.

hoedugit

J Olender, thanks. So basically the trans, the reverser, the main hyd unit all take the same fluid? I got led a bit astray but a guy said the trans and reverser took a mixed trans/hydraulic fluid and the main resavoir took strait hyd fluid......this sounded odd to me but like I say I am a bit new to the operating world with these things, mostly my equipment time has been limited to running skidder....how about the viscosity level? High, low?

Thanks again

hoedugit

J Olender

I would check with your Deere dealer on the viscosity. But I use what is called "premium" tractor fluid, which can be used in both the trans and the main hydraulic system. But make sure whatever you use, that it says it's a multi use fluid. I get mine at napa auto part stores or Sam's Club carries it as well.

Deon

I have a researched answer for you. I also have a 310D. You need to pay attention to the JD specifications. Use fluid that meets the Deere specifications labeled J20A or newer oils J21A. This tractor fluid is used in the hydraulic tank, reverser housing, torque converter and the rear transaxle. It is specifically designed for the JD wet brakes and all. Walmart sells a product called Super Tech, Universal Tractor Fluid, TDH. It meets J21A specifications. I buy it in NS Canada for about $37.00 per 5 gallon pale. Best price I can find. Your front axle if 4 wheel drive takes SAE 90 or SAE 80/90 if you live in a cold place. There is no brake fluid. Brakes are run from the rear transaxle fluid. Your engine takes 15W40 diesel oil. I buy the Shell Rotella brand also from Walmart. I stick to JD filters because I don't trust others as the cross reference charts are not always correct and quality can be questionable. You should get an operators manuel at least. Some fluids are checked with engine running and oil hot and some are checked with engine off. There should be a fluid check sheet on the underside of the small service door just in front of your windshield. Deere dealers can supply you with a operators manuel on CD for about $20.00. A parts manuel is available online for free. Go to www.deere.com. Click on Construction, Parts, type in 310D for a model and you can see all your parts for free. Know the last 6 digits of your serial number to find the right parts for your machine.
Backhoes are fun and John Deeres are tough but the cabs tend to rust. Mine has a rusted out cab bottom. I am now in the process of rebuilding the floor and fenders.
Hope I have helped. You can email back with more questions. I'd love to help.

hoedugit

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info and for steadying me on the right path!! Should be back in action tomorrow after a stop at the ol' fluid store, yee-hawww

Thanks again

-hoedugit

bart2

I have a researched answer for you. I also have a 310D. You need to pay attention to the JD specifications. Use fluid that meets the Deere specifications labeled J20A or newer oils J21A. This tractor fluid is used in the hydraulic tank, reverser housing, torque converter and the rear transaxle. It is specifically designed for the JD wet brakes and all. Walmart sells a product called Super Tech, Universal Tractor Fluid, TDH. It meets J21A specifications. I buy it in NS Canada for about $37.00 per 5 gallon pale. Best price I can find. Your front axle if 4 wheel drive takes SAE 90 or SAE 80/90 if you live in a cold place. There is no brake fluid. Brakes are run from the rear transaxle fluid. Your engine takes 15W40 diesel oil. I buy the Shell Rotella brand also from Walmart. I stick to JD filters because I don't trust others as the cross reference charts are not always correct and quality can be questionable. You should get an operators manuel at least. Some fluids are checked with engine running and oil hot and some are checked with engine off. There should be a fluid check sheet on the underside of the small service door just in front of your windshield. Deere dealers can supply you with a operators manuel on CD for about $20.00. A parts manuel is available online for free. Go to www.deere.com. Click on Construction, Parts, type in 310D for a model and you can see all your parts for free. Know the last 6 digits of your serial number to find the right parts for your machine.
Backhoes are fun and John Deeres are tough but the cabs tend to rust. Mine has a rusted out cab bottom. I am now in the process of rebuilding the floor and fenders.
Hope I have helped. You can email back with more questions. I'd love to help.
Thanks for the good information , I have a 1995 310 D with a rusted out floor just as you described and will probably pull the cab off to do the repair , any hints would be helpful regards Alex in T Bay