• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fleetguard filters

lantraxco

Yair . . . .

lantraxco

How I can relate to that . . . I have never done tug work but can imagine the gentle heave and the creaks and those Cats grumbling and the phosphorescent wake . . . do you miss it man?

Cheers.

I was only an engineer for about six months total, did a year at 30 days on, 30 off, but I actually loved it, just couldn't handle the group dynamic there. We were short haul, by the day or by the trip, so the crew changed constanly. Everybody that was on the boat spent most of their time badmouthing anyone who was off the boat, so everybody pretty much hated everybody but we all worked together at some point. Didn't take long to figure that was how I was talked about when I was ashore.

One thing about the older CATs, the 399's were a V16 and only turned 1200 as I recall so they did indeed grumble along. The pair burned 2,500 gallons of #2 in 24 hours, and she could carry 56,000 in her tanks.. funny how you remember little things like that :eek:

Oh, and the yang to the romantic ying setting I described was coming out of San Francisco harbor the week after Christmas into the teeth of a storm blowing down from the gulf of Alaska. Eight foot seas under the Golden Gate, twenty-footers at the sea buoy, turned South to make the run home to Long Beach and we got blasted. Night black as coal, seventy knot plus winds from the stern, 25-30 foot seas, Cap'n backed her down to bare steerage, mebbe two knots, the barge on the towline trying to pass us constantly, and she was slugged down with Bunker "C", low enough the waves were running the length of the barge and breaking on what superstructure was there. 150 foot gulf built boat the Champion, we were climbing the back side of the waves and when the bow dropped finally into the ditch, the eight foot wheels would come out of the water and vibrate wildly as the engines ran away, sliding down and the whole boat would shake violently when she hit and the wheels dug in to pull her out of it. Shipping green water up to the bridge screens. I was watching the Woodward governors go from full tilt boogie to slamming shut two or three times a minute, and the alarm panel was lighting up constantly as the fluid level alarms all went crazy. Not something I would volunteer to do again, but an amazing experience. Good thing those tugs are built like tanks, they do go down sometimes, but not without a fight usually.

My last tour on that boat, last trip before I flew home, we were anchored to buoys off Santa Barbara putting a load of crude in the barge, got her topped up and the Cap'n says "Light 'em". Got the Port main idling and went to fire the Starboard, all the vanes in the air starter blew out into the bilge. Naturally the two starters were different, and opposite rotation, no spare vanes. Captain says "Your gonna miss your flight, it's gonna take forever to make port on one main". I found a hunk of plexiglas sheet close enough in thickness in the stores, sawed out some vanes, filed them to fit, put the starter together, closed my eyes, said a short prayer and yanked the handle. She lit, and we went home. I left it running in case they got called out, so the last thing I remember as I walked away is the sound of that old CAT purring. Yeah, I miss it. Now I have other things though, so it's all good. Would have liked to sail on a real ship once too, tanker or freighter I think. Maybe in my next life.

Lanway

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There's nothing like being on the water when the weather's nice, nothing like being on terra firma (the more firmer the less terror) when it's not. I've never been what they call "deep sea" but the shallower waters round the coast of Britain can be nasty enough in winter. Living on an island we depend on the ocean for everything, the shelves empty really quick if the boat doesn't sail ........ the Irish Sea is one of the nastiest stretches of water in the world apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGw9EewhGg . My house is located pretty much directly above the tower that carries the light at the end of the breakwater at 2:08 onwards. Personally that doesn't look like a Force 9 to me, more like 7-8, still chunky though. Most likely it was a sou'wester so the harbour would have been in the lee of it sheltered by the island itself.

lantraxco

True Dat. Yeah, the little blow I went through wasn't much at all in the grand scheme of things, coast of California is not known to be a scary place usually.

That's beautiful, lucky man you are. That captain didn't waste any time making that spin turn before docking eh? lol

I can't see the Pacific, but I can almost throw a rock into it from where I live currently, different sort of coastline.

Nige

Today the weather is more like this ........... Believe it or not but that fast craft has no less than 4 x Cat 3616 engines in it. And no that's not a misprint of 3516, they are 3616s and are ferking huge......... The Steam Packet Co is the oldest shipping company in the World that is still operating. It has been providing a shipping service between the IOM, UK, & Ireland ever since it was founded in 1830.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcApSNUCg9I

lantraxco

:trdjk were we talking about filters? LOL. Fun anyway.

Sweet! Unusual hull design also. Yeah, at one point at the CAT dealer I did a stretch with we sent some parts for a 3600 series up to one of the pumping stations for the Alaska pipeline. I remember the piston ring sets were near the size of a dinner plate. That engine was the backup genny for the big GE gas turbines pumping the crude oil. I can't imagine the horsepower of four 3616's. Are they a coupled up engine Nige, like the 3516?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Good one lantraxco. That was an interesting night . . . and you describe it very well. I think I detect a latent writer? (big grin)

With apologies to original poster for Hi-jack (we are along way from Fleetguard filters) I'll pop a picture of this old darlin' on here . . .

1502546.jpg

She was built as a single screw steamer in 1929 and then fitted with a six cylinder Mirrlees some time after WW two. She was bought by one of our clients and towed fuel barges for the Gulf prawn fleet for many years.

We had a major drama when we made a set of phosphor bronze bearings for the rocker gear . . . odd ball series engine and parts could be made to order out of UK with eight weeks lead time.

Any way we fitted the bits and some new shafts and shimmed the towers perfect, adjusted the lash and did trials in the river for an hour or so all good, but ten hours into the tow the bastards started seizing.

Eventually got it sorted with a reamer but it was ****s were trumps for starters as it was coming in to blow.

Incidentally that was a good lesson for my partner . . . always work to maximum permissible tolerance when jobbing.

Cheers.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Today the weather is more like this ........... Believe it or not but that fast craft has no less than 4 x Cat 3616 engines in it. And no that's not a misprint of 3516, they are 3616s and are ferking huge......... The Steam Packet Co is the oldest shipping company in the World that is still operating. It has been providing a shipping service between the IOM, UK, & Ireland ever since it was founded in 1830.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcApSNUCg9I
Looks like an Incat ferry made in Tassie, Oz and a good demonstration of water jet propulsion. :cool2

Last edited:

lantraxco

Latent writer? I doubt it, more like a misspent youth reading world war 2 books by the likes of Alistair MacClean, Douglas Reeman, Edward L. Beach, etc. LOL

Nige

Looks like an Incat ferry made in Tassie, Oz and a good demonstration of water jet propulsion. :cool2
It is indeed, originally built in 1998 as yard #050. it spent its early life on contract to the US Govt as HSV-X1 before the SPCo bought it and had it converted for passenger service.

Each of the 3618s (18 not 16, my mistake) is rated at 9650 BHP and drives a dedicated Lips 150D water jet. The service speed is around 40 knots with 50+ knots available in lightship conditions.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
3518?? I had no idea.... Must need a bicycle to get around it?

The biggest engine I had the fun of working on was one of those D399's like you had in the tug. Can't imagine being down below deck with a pair of then wound out to the 1,200 rpm limit. Ours was a genset in a trailer. So besides the engines we had that huge fan blowing through the radiator. One time while test running it I was up near the fan and the boss drove by just as the wid blew my hard hat off and out the end. He said he hesitated to look close at the hat, afraid my head was still in it!

AS far as filters go we used Donaldson for most things only exception was when new machine was still under warranty we would use manufactures filter just to short circuit any claims.

lantraxco

What did you say???? Oh, they were loud, but I wore muffs when we were working. Keel cooled, but still a lot of heat, big suction fan up in the stack pulling heat out, blowers in the mushroom intakes behind the bridge tower to help the cool air in for the turbos.. I thought of those engines like two old draft horses, feeling their age but still strong and always ready to lean into the harness. The Port was stronger, but finicky to start, and the odd minor issue now and then, the Starboard would light before you could get your hand off the valve, but she was a bit more tired. They got a major tune not long after I left, the whole boat did in drydock, sorry I missed it, lol.

Nige

Last edited:

lantraxco

Right, typoed it sorry, I have seen a couple 3606 and the like, but have never heard of a 3618... WOW!

lantraxco

Just call it a round forty thousand horsepower... WW2 destroyers took several boilers and a large engine crew to get there!

lantraxco

Probably... what do they do if they have a major malfunction, call for roadside assistance? Or are their still engineers aboard?