• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flail mower vs. mulcher head

05rammer

I was wondering the pros and cons of both of these attachments. The one I can see is that the flael mower is cheaper and will cut thick grass, were as the mulcher head can mulch bigger trees and brush better. Any info on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Iron Horse

If it's only grass and woody weeds up to 1" a flail is better . The rotor spins bottom forward which cuts the material with an upward motion and draws it into the mulching chamber for further shredding . The clippings are spread on the ground evenly at the rear .

Anything bigger really requires a mulcher , swinging hammers for rocky or contaminated areas or fixed hammers for clear timbered areas . As the rotor spins top forward on these , they require two passes , a forward pass to knock down the material and a reverse pass to lift it and draw it into the chamber for further shredding .

05rammer

The US mower web site says the there flail mower will cut up to 6in trees. Is the mulcher that much faster or what is the difference?

Iron Horse

You must be wary of such claims . Sure it will chew away at a "SINGLE" 6" tree and after a while it will be gone . In the real world , a flail mower 4'/1200mm wide traveling in a arc will encounter thousands of grass/woody weed stems and have to not only cut them but also proccess them into mulch . And do this whilst travelling at a resonable speed , a mulcher cannot do this in one pass . They must be swung to the left first and then back to the right to proccess the material . Have a look on YouTube at the hydraulic flails cutting weeds and then look at the hydraulic mulchers doing the same thing . It all depends on what material you are working as to what machine you should have .

kthompson

I realize that may much bigger flail mowers than I have or have used but 6 inches...an oak limb of any size has been an issue for me and I like flail mower.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was wondering the pros and cons of both of these attachments. The one I can see is that the flael mower is cheaper and will cut thick grass, were as the mulcher head can mulch bigger trees and brush better. Any info on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure I get where your wanting to go with the question, but in my view they are two different attachments that operate at opposite ends of the spectrum with some overlap in the middle.

As mentioned the Mulcher heads are best in heavier material and in more difficult terrain. They are much more expensive to purchase and the costs can be higher depending on ground conditions. They also take a lot more machine flow and ROC to be able to effectively run a mulcher. A flail mower or rotory can be run by practically any machine due to reduced ROC and flow requirements.

The rotory mowers seem to be the lowest priced units and some make some pretty substanial claims on how large of material they can process. The flail mowers can get expensive as well, not as much as a mulcher but still can be expensive. I think they would be great for unimproved areas that may damage a rotory mower.

I have a Tushogg mulcher and will ad a rotary mower as well. The mulcher is not effective at all in grass.