• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixed track frames on dozers

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

I notice a member here with a D5 that appears to have non oscillating track frames. I know such machines exist but I don't know which of the machines have this configuration.

I imagine they would be the ducks guts for finish work but how do they compare to a conventional machine for (say) general farm work?

They would be rough as guts to walk anywhere I imagine. In the real world how do they compare. Is there a noticeable difference at the end of the day?

No equalizer bar or spring, no diagonal braces, simple final with just a sprocket on a shaft sure does look attractive maintenance wise.

Just curious that's all.

Cheers,

Dickjr.

Hey Scrub , my D39 Komatsu is a rigid frame machine. Yes it rides rough especially over rocky ground which we have plenty of. The seats on newer machines are better but it still can be a rough ride. My uncle once told me " keep your work area flat" which is possible most of the time and by flat I mean the rough stuff stays in front of the blade. My track loader has the pivot shaft and weighs about 3 tons more. Big difference in the ride quality even though it is 20 years older than the 39. I chose this size which is nuts to nuts the same as a D5K , 650K Deere and a 850M Case , because I can't afford to run a D6T size machine and be profitable. Too much payment , bigger lowboy and truck , and massive fuel consumption. It can be in good soils a really pleasurable machine to run, which applies to all listed.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha Dickjr. Thanks for reply.

I was just curious about the viability of the machines for general work. I take it most of the smaller machines with PAT blades are made this way?

What is the largest rigid machine in production?

As I mentioned it sure makes for a simple machine. Do folks look at that aspect when deciding on a purchase?

Cheers.

Twisted

I own/operate both. D65 and D41 Komatsu machines.
Running perpendicular to the bumps they both shake you up but any sort of an angle and there is a huge difference in ride quality. I dare say the oscilliating machine levels way better up to the final cut plus puts the power to the ground.

Besides maintenance I don't see any advantage to a rigid frame. I was a bit concerned before purchasing the 41 as about all I had ran was the old 65. They are such different machines that a person runs them to their ability.

I also look forward to hearing this discussion.

Plant Fitter

I have really only had much time on a D5C Caterpillar with a rigid frame, and a D85-21 Komatsu with the ocsillating frame.

To me, the D85 was just as rough, but it's difficult to compare as the work was often harder rocker going. I think the rigid frame is much more stable, and much better for steep hill work, and also for hard ripping with a single shank. The D85 seemed to flop around all over the place, quite scary when you are on the side of a hill and used to a rigid frame.

Based on my limited experience I find it hard to see the benefit of the ocsillating frame, pivot shafts, equaliser bar etc.

But like I say, difficult to compare two rather different sized machines. I had a few hours on a D10T once, and it was more comfortable than you could imagine any dozer ever would be.