• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fitting ripper on cat d-8n

naheed

big question here i just got a d8n but it didnt come with a ripper, it had a hydraulic winch on it!

i have an old scrap d-8 h, which has a single shank 4 barrel ripper on it, so question is can the d8h ripper fit on the d8n??

if so are there any modifications required and what hydraulics would i need to add to the d8n?

cheers

StanRUS

You could probably purchase 8N ripper from a parted out machine with bit of on-line searching. PM and I'll give you contact details for a manufacture that has ripper for all cat machines, they might give you the dimensional specifications required to modify the 8H ripper frame.

naheed

great stanrus some dimensions would really make things easier.

nige what about the control valve?

yes i know im in for some heavy labour and welding hours :cool:

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Naheed, yes it can be done! In fact there was a conversion kit people were building years ago. You could either search machinery trader.com in attachments or if your not going to buy more parts, spend a bunch of hours looking at the parts book of both determining what is different! One of the biggest issues here is your brackets fit around the transmission cover on the d8n where the d8h has lots fewer "things on the back to work around. On the hydraulics end the d8n was a pilot controlled end where the d8h was directly controlled from hand linkage to main valve. Be real careful to place the upper cylinder with enough clearance that when pulled all the way up the cylinders don't interfere with the fuel tank!!!! If it were me trying to do this as fast and cheap as possible I would look at installing electrically switch diverter valves in the blade control lines both up/down and tilt, to run your rippers with the blade control valve. Whatever you do be sure to take pictures and post them on this thread......TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
image.jpg
Found this with a quick Google search. A few hours on the Internet will be well worth your time. The hydraulics will be a bit tricky, the hydraulic pump on your d8n is a variable displacement so just adding a tiller handle to a big spool valve isn't going to function well. If I remember correctly the d8n mounts are 4 piece instead of 2 pieces? Remember your payment to the forum is good pictures and descriptions and keeping up on this thread!!!! LOL.....TIO

naheed

yes got some picsIMG_20160503_110523.jpg

thats what i wanted
and this is what i had taken off the d8h
IMG_20160509_120852.jpgIMG_20160503_110657.jpg

the main control valve has an extra port for ripper and i can get the second pilot control off the d8h, just abit confused how to give that one pilot pressure from the d8n system
IMG_20160509_120954.jpgIMG_20160509_121005.jpg

naheed

also sourced a chinese company that can supply the new shape brackets only, my only concern right now before going forward is that will the conversion work well? as in ripper working well height wise, and cylinder lengths enough for an elevated machine!

theironoracle

Occupation
I have never seen one of these in person but there must be thousands of them out there. They must work just fine! As far as the hydraulics I would I would put solid links in place of the top cylinders and use what you've got!! i would either keep the hydraulics stock or go all out with good used d8n controls I would not spend the time piecing it together. Partly I get nervous with this system because it also runs your steering which is a bit more sensitive than your standard old dozer system. Earlier I talked about the hydraulic system being pilot controlled, after seeing your picture I now realize I was talking about a d8r ripper control system! Tio