• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Winter Storm, maybe....

20/80

Occupation
operator
So Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday was down around minus 36 Canadian, or minus 32.8 American with the wind. Over the evening Wednesday, it went up to 5 or 41. Yesterday it rained, and this morning started freezing rain, now it is snowing, and the temperature is dropping again.
Yep, same as here, cold snow, then warm and rinse then cold again, the Temp dropped 10 degree's here in 40 mins, my back roads are heaving like crazy, with just about 2.5" of rain in 7 hours and high winds The St Mary's river has spilled over onto the roads again, washing the shoulders out and leaving icebergs on the middle of the roadway, power outages everywhere, what a crazy winter, be glad when things settle down.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yep, same as here, cold snow, then warm and rinse then cold again, the Temp dropped 10 degree's here in 40 mins, my back roads are heaving like crazy, with just about 2.5" of rain in 7 hours and high winds The St Mary's river has spilled over onto the roads again, washing the shoulders out and leaving icebergs on the middle of the roadway, power outages everywhere, what a crazy winter, be glad when things settle down.
I have a cousin In Nova Scotia, and she just got power back.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Once again, we've missed all moisture. My roads are dusty. High today just under freezing. Tomorrow's high will be mid 50Fs. I'll go out early tomorrow morning and lightly blade the 8 miles of roads I haven't hit yet.

I feel bad for you guys. As I've said many times, what you two describe would completely destroy my roads. Would be in such bad shape we wouldn't even be able to get rock trucks on them. :(

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There's a lot of sandstone around here. There are some clay areas. I live along a river system, so lots of sand and gravel as well. As you head toward the center of the province, you get into solid rock. Great for quarries. Some peatmoss areas, but that's a whole art for building roads on that stuff.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Nothing but Rock, ledge and shake bog around a lot of my roads, I have pulled rocks the size of washing machines out of my roads to get clear of them, just trying to find the material to fill the hole back in can be a bit challenging though, any roads along the coast is nothing but boulders here it seems, my roads to the north and away from the ocean are much easier to find material and ditch.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
It's 52F with 20-30mph S wind this morning at 0930. Expected high of 60F. We'll exceed that. Same for tomorrow. We'll have no frost left by tomorrow evening this "hot" dry wind will suck it right out.

I was going to finish up some roads this morning but talked myself out of it. Weather forecast has removed the chance of rain/snow for the next week at least. It's so dry here that when I look out at my road I see dust blowing as if someone is coming down the road.......

skyking1

At my sister's house job, it froze and snowed, then they rolled on the floor trusses and sheeting, trapping the snow and frost under an unheated lid. Those plumbers and HVAC guys first had to bust through snow, and now mud to to the work. How about that for fun?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
At my sister's house job, it froze and snowed, then they rolled on the floor trusses and sheeting, trapping the snow and frost under an unheated lid. Those plumbers and HVAC guys first had to bust through snow, and now mud to to the work. How about that for fun?
That would suck bad!!!!

skyking1

It is a tall crawler so that is good. It was beautifully graded by the dirt guys. Now it is a muddy mess and they drug in all this cardboard and plywood scrap to crawl on, which will have to be cleaned up.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Little mess last night, went out a 3 am and did a bit of cleanup. Lots of ice around, and overflowing ditches. The road to our asphalt plant was messy. Going to be dandy when it turns cold tonight. Paved roads are heaving like crazy, I can see an early road closure for sure.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Pushed off some ice burgs from a road today, filled in some washouts also, still lots to do yet but the Department won't call us in till Tuesday, they would have to pay us double time for the Holiday on Monday, it could snow two feet and they would not call us out on Monday, lol

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Pushed off some ice burgs from a road today, filled in some washouts also, still lots to do yet but the Department won't call us in till Tuesday, they would have to pay us double time for the Holiday on Monday, it could snow two feet and they would not call us out on Monday, lol
You guys get any word on spring weight restrictions yet? Southern NB, and NS is normally a week ahead of us. https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/dti/trucking/content/spring_weight_restrictions.html

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You guys get any word on spring weight restrictions yet? Southern NB, and NS is normally a week ahead of us. https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/dti/trucking/content/spring_weight_restrictions.html

20/80

Occupation
operator

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have some on now on the back roads, but these crazy temp swings this year will play a part with putting them up early, Feb 27th for the whole province I believe.
Yeah, back in my truckin days, Nova Scotia, and Southern NB closed , and reopened a week before northern NB. I never really pay much attention to the date anymore, I'll see the 80% sign one of these days on the post an my way to town.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I drove some of my roads this evening. They are in really good shape. We'll get a light freeze tonight. I'll go out early tomorrow morning and touch up the few miles that I haven't hit yet.

I staked a roadkill Deer in my field a couple days ago. Usually the Bald Eagles immediately show up. My game camera only captured two. I watched them. They were more interested in mating than eating. This afternoon I sat on the porch for an hour and watched Snow Geese migrating. I'm in their path between two sanctuaries that they use.

Spring is coming guys. Stay strong.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Fun times here, 69 degrees today, most if not all the Sleet Ice is gone now, HOWEVER Round Two is staring at us, Rains, HEAVY rains tomorrow Morning, likely Thunderstorms then move into Tuesday night temp plummets and Ice begins AGAIN along with more Sleet Freezing Rain, Snow thru Thursday night, Friday gonna just be frozen, AGAIN.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Fun times here, 69 degrees today, most if not all the Sleet Ice is gone now, HOWEVER Round Two is staring at us, Rains, HEAVY rains tomorrow Morning, likely Thunderstorms then move into Tuesday night temp plummets and Ice begins AGAIN along with more Sleet Freezing Rain, Snow thru Thursday night, Friday gonna just be frozen, AGAIN.
Once again, we missed it. Big temp change. 26F this morning. Just before daylight we got a few minutes of freezing rain. Just enough to lightly glaze the sidewalk. Damp, dreary, windy. Moisture is over.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Our temp has dropped to 20F at 1000. Light spitting of snow with no accumulation expected. Blustery NW wind. I've got an old Windmill in the field South of my shop. I converted it to a wind vane. It's whipping around a lot....

20/80

Occupation
operator
Our temp has dropped to 20F at 1000. Light spitting of snow with no accumulation expected. Blustery NW wind. I've got an old Windmill in the field South of my shop. I converted it to a wind vane. It's whipping around a lot....
Nice, we used to have a old windmill to charge the batteries for the lights in our barns, 6volt back then, it worked and lighted the barns very well at the time, was a big step ahead in technology in those days.