• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First time 74hp CTL recommendation

ABFarmer

Greetings all,

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months reading and researching for an upcoming CTL purchase for our smallish Alberta cattle farm. We have about 150 animals and are looking to do a bunch of our own manure work along with augering posts, some snow clearing, summer ground prep for some new sheds, a bit of pallet work, some bale moving, and general use around the farm. We have a 95hp Kubota for primary round bale work and hauling a spreader and an old Massey 88 gas tractor we're rebuilding for light chores. Dealers/service within a 10 minute drive include Kubota, Case/NH, Bobcat, Takeuchi, and about 30mins away is a Gehl dealer and service centre. ASV is a 2 hour journey, so they won't do. Deere and Cat are also about 20 mins away, but I'm not sure we can afford the Deere or Cat lifestyle, (no offence to loyalists but feel free to correct me if I am misinformed about maintenance/parts costs).

We want to stay away from DEF and be able to trailer easily between properties, so 74hp machines. Ground gets pretty soggy in the spring melt and we've had some wet summers where the pens are pretty swampy. Wheel machines will probably be constant aggravation for getting stuck. So definitely CTL.

We've looked at current SVL-75's, TL10's, SV270/310 so far. The modern open track designs seems quite superior to the closed track for managing mud collection in the works (lots of frozen days here). That said, should we be looking for a late model of something pre-emissions, and if so, what are some of the reliable gems across various manufacturers for reliability and good manure work? Also, 2 year old machines w/under 1000 hours vs 5-10 year old machines with 2500-4000 hours + repairs? Thoughts?

I also appreciate warnings of what vintage machines to avoid for headaches. We are only equipped to do basic filter, lube, cleaning maintenance on the farm, so we'll need to rely on Service centres for major fix jobs.

Thanks in advance.

heymccall

I've got 4k hrs on an SVL75 with no issues of consequence save for a broken muffler mount bracket and the perpetual clogged hvac evaporator.
I've got 2k hrs on an SVL75-2 with no issues of consequence save for the dreaded perpetually clogged hvac evaporator.
I've still got 2 TL150 Takeuchi TL150s, and they've been stalwarts, but, they always seem to nickle and dime us.
Engine mounts, relays, pilot pump fractures, and main pumps falling off are just some of the nickle and dime stuff.

Txhayseed

For my money damn if i hate to say it Takeuchi is just hard to beat. They are just tanks. They lack the " refinement" of some others but that's ok with me. I don't need a Cadillac. But on the flip side if you go with a bobcat parts are cheaper and the aftermarket seems to support bobcat quicker and with more products. I order stuff for my S150 on amazon all the time. The old tl140 not so much. I cant say enough good stuff about it. Ive been in the equipment rental business going on 20 years and ive seen them all come and go. Every machine sent out is literal torched by every tom dick and harry that gets in it. Those taks really hang in there.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Taki makes a pretty solid machine, primarily the pre-Kubota machines. They have struggled since they started putting Kubota in their machines in my opinion Not all of them certainly, but enough to tarnish what was a really good machine. If you want a sub 75 hp machine, I think a machine that doesn't have a DPF is a good choice. BC and CNH are two that I know of, there maybe others as well. If your not loading trucks to a great extent, a radial machine would be a good choice. Easier to see out of, faster to grease due to less moving parts and typically a little cheaper to buy. I am most familiar with CASE. The TR310 is a good medium sized machine. Rented one for the Summer, I came away happy with it. As long as I didn't expect the same performance I get out of the 90 HP machines it was nice to run, and pushed well. The CASE TV370 is a large frame 75 hp machine. Much more lift than the 310, it is a vertical lift machine. The CASE website has a really good comparison sheet on the CTL portion of their website to compare specs. If your wanting a new machine the B series cabs are really nice on the CASE machines. I would compare the spec sheet and stop at a couple dealers that interest you and demo a couple to see what you think. I would try and stay around a 1000 hours and a couple years old, that said when buying that current of a machine, buying new isnt a big jump in money and you get at least 2 year warranty on most new machines, regardless of color.

Mark13

For your needs you could also look at a Tak TL8 or go a bit older to a TL230 and still have a very capable machine with a small foot print. I have heard that the newer TL10 machines are kind of a dog being a larger machine but down to 74hp now compared to the 92hp they used to be.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
The landowner that I have been clearing land for, just bought us a new Bobcat T740 a couple of months ago. This machine was purchased to replace a Bobcat T300, that myself, and the ranch foreman, had worn out over the past 12 years. It had right at 3400hrs on it. We could have gotten a larger one from Bobcat, but the mechanics at Bobcat recommended we stay away from the DEF machines. This T740 is a great machine. I have been on it most of the time since we got it. It now has about 150 hrs on it, and I am working the heck out of it every day. It will move huge piles of brush and very large trees with the root grapple. I also spent 2 weeks, day in and day out, moving dirt to fill in an old pond. This machine performs as well as the previous T300, and many folks say the T300 was one of the best tracked Bobcats ever built. If this size machine would work for you, I highly recommend you have a look at it.ratzor gamble 3.jpg

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
I have a Bobcat T595. Heck of a machine. Only complaint is that it really uses fuel. Otherwise 400 pretty trouble free hours. I have a friend that has a T740. Same engine, much bigger machine. He uses it daily in his business and is very impressed. Not sure of the hours on his but it’s substantially higher than mine. As far as I know his has been trouble-free as well. For my work, I prefer the smaller frame size of my T595, but the T740 is pretty impressive pushing, grading, and lifting. His only complaint is like mine....uses a lot of fuel. Unlike reports of the Kubota, my HVAC is trouble-free and will freeze you out of the cab on high.

NepeanGC

Occupation
#dirtherder
I've got a Bobcat T550 (800hrs), and rent a T595 regularly when we need a second machine. Haven't had any issued with either. T595 (74hp) uses more fuel than the T550 (66hp), but has a bit more zip. Both are really capable machines. HVAC is trouble free, though I do find there's only 2 settings...freezing cold, or boiling hot.

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for a recent 1000hr machine, parts should be more readily available, and the machine will likely have lots of life left. At 3-4k hours, it's probably near end of life.

One thing for mud, and this goes for any brand in my experience, there is a significant performance difference between stock C pattern tracks, and zigzag or horizontal bar tracks. C patter tracks are durable, but have poor traction in mud.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I've got a Bobcat T550 (800hrs), and rent a T595 regularly when we need a second machine. Haven't had any issued with either. T595 (74hp) uses more fuel than the T550 (66hp), but has a bit more zip. Both are really capable machines. HVAC is trouble free, though I do find there's only 2 settings...freezing cold, or boiling hot.

If I were in your position, I'd be looking for a recent 1000hr machine, parts should be more readily available, and the machine will likely have lots of life left. At 3-4k hours, it's probably near end of life.

One thing for mud, and this goes for any brand in my experience, there is a significant performance difference between stock C pattern tracks, and zigzag or horizontal bar tracks. C patter tracks are durable, but have poor traction in mud.
uru

I have found that the zig zag tread hooks up a lot better. I haven't seen much difference in life span but the block pattern would make sense to last longer especially if your on hard surfaces more. My current machine has Camoplast zig zag, never had a set of these before so it will be interesting to see how they last. They certainly bite.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
I ordered the wide tracks on my T595. My summer work involves a lot of soft and often muddy conditions. The wide tracks work great. Not so much in the winter. Pretty much useless in any slippery conditions. Fortunately I don’t do much winter work. They are fine in snow, but add a little ice and not so much.

Txhayseed

I do like the wide tracks except when it walks off and roles up under the machine or come off as tracks often do in the worst possible place and situation. They are down right back breakers if you got to go old school and put them on with pry bars. Other than i do prefer them.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
I do like the wide tracks except when it walks off and roles up under the machine or come off as tracks often do in the worst possible place and situation. They are down right back breakers if you got to go old school and put them on with pry bars. Other than i do prefer them.
400 hours and no thrown tracks. Keeping fingers crossed.