• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First purchase

EZ Generator Sw

Ok ..here goes. We are building & electrical contractors and are NOT excavating contractors. With that said I am looking to purchase a older machine 2001 or older for personal use and maybe use on the job now & then.
I have used a 315 Cat several times and have my own small Kioti with a excavator on the back. I have the need now & then when we purchase a knock down house for a machine. Also have a piece of property that needs a good portion of fill removed some of which I will keep so there is work there. The Removal portion is 9000 yards and is not why I would purchase... someone else who is set up can buy that for short $$ from me. So Not being a dirt guy I am torn because I know nothing about excavators ( to speak of) I am very hands on but not looking to be a mechanic. Found older 312's around 30K and PC 138 (2001) which seems nice but more $$ of course. Do I buy or just lease something now and again for a month. Seems like kissing 5-6K away once a year seems foolish? I also live on 40 acres so there is always something around to do with the equipment. I would always pay to move it and will never get into that end of it. Looking for a level headed answer...if that possible. Is re-sale of equipment a consideration also? Thanks in advance!

fhdesign

I like the idea of renting but if you aren't going to be moving it much, you could consider a 200 series or over width machine. In my area they are about the same price and often in better shape then the smaller machines.