• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Lowboy Hire, Question about Loading/Unloading

bulletpruf

So I bought a Cat 977H and hired a local driver to transport it about 125 miles.

What is odd to me is that he didn't uncouple the trailer. I just crawled the 977 up the back to load and backwards to unload. I had to use the bucket to lift me up to get it on the lowboy and just went really slow going back.

This was my first experience with getting heavy equipment hauled, so I don't know if this is par for the course, batshit crazy, or somewhere in between.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Scott

View attachment IMG_7174.jpeg

bulletpruf

Those are really small tires and if that is what he was cool with, that works. The trailer needs to be really flat and you do have to take your time. Just a little sidehill and it can go to heck in a hurry.

Ok, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Scott

Jonas302

Not to crazy at all you would be amazed how much lift a nice block of wood behind the trailer would give you Usually the driver wants to put it on himself but may not have had much experience in that type of machine and with it being new to you probably felt a little scary

Junkyard

Pretty common to load like that. It’s a mechanical detach and his truck is setup for it but with the trailer built like it is with the 17.5’s there’s not much difference between rear loading and front. By the pic I’d say it’s a Cozad 16 tire trunion.

bulletpruf

Not to crazy at all you would be amazed how much lift a nice block of wood behind the trailer would give you Usually the driver wants to put it on himself but may not have had much experience in that type of machine and with it being new to you probably felt a little scary

He said he could load it or I could, so I said I'd do it.

I hear you on the block of wood; kind of surprised he didn't have one available.

bam1968

Years ago I worked for a guy that had and old fixed neck tandem axle lowboy. He had a 977L that we moved at least once a week. For whatever reason the trailer was weak on the right side. Most of the time we were loading and unloading on gravel roads and when possible would park on the wrong side so the crown of the road would compensate for weak trailer leaning to the right. When loading the 977 the operator would get it squared up best he could and would rest his foot on the center pedal when going up the ramps until he got leveled off up on the deck. If he didn't like something on the way up the ramps he would back off and readjust instead of just tweaking it a little. At that time the owner had a D7G that I ran and it was alot more forgiving when loading and unloading but I still tried to do it on the wrong side or in the middle of the road. The whole operation was a bit sketchy to say the least. But leaning sideways on a squishy trailer is not alot of fun!!