1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

first dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by shadow, Apr 14, 2011.

1. wilko

wilko Senior Member

Everything Mitch said, plus you have fixed costs. Insurance, license, these cost the same sitting or running and you have to cover them before you make a dime. Throw in an engine, transmission or rear end failure (common with "starter" trucks) and you're deep in a hole.

2. pafarmer

pafarmer Senior Member

Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
    I bought a brand new Ford L9000 in 1984 and that truck is still on the toad today making money daily. 3306 CAT motor, Aluminum Benson dump. Great truck ....

3. Monserandsons

Monserandsons Well-Known Member

owner/operator of carpentry an excavation business
    i dont like it when people say you cant do it. dont worry if, if you 'keep doing it', they will look for someone else to tell they cant do it.

4. grizzlycan2011

grizzlycan2011 Active Member

Yea I encountered the same "it's a horrible idea" when I first decided I wanted to be a truck driver. It's been the best decision I ever made, I enjoy my job and make double what I was making. So I'm thinking that buying me a dump truck one day will be the way to go. Just picked me up a part time dump truck job so I can learn the ropes. I also called an independent dump truck operator and he said its tough sometimes but wouldn't ever drive for someone else again. Gave me the same advice I was thinking, "buy a truck but don't quit your job right away" which is what I plan on doing. He also told me to give him a call when I get one and he'll throw me work when he can. So I got high hoped and a bright outlook.

5. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    One can take the advice given as "it's a horrible idea" or one can take the advice given as a precaution. A dump truck business is tough, you can make money at it or you can loose your ass. It's your choice on how to take the advice.:cool2

6. grizzlycan2011

Well I'm currently trying to gain dump truck experience working for someone else part time...maybe even full time if the pay is right, but is $10-12 an hour the going rate? That's the offers I'm getting.

7. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Our markets are similar, that rate for starting with not much experience part time is in line with my area.

8. grizzlycan2011

Well I think I may have found what I'm looking for just trying to figure out if I should. Starting pay is $13 an hour and 70 hours a week, so right at $1100 a week. Even though it's a $1 less than what I make now, I'd still make about $1000 more a month. I'll be driving either a regular dump truck or a belly dump, he said he's not sure yet. It comes with w2 so I won't have to do a 1099 and it has health insurance. It will also give me the experience and possible contacts id need to start my own gig one day. I'm looking for cons but all I can really think is that it's $13 an hour instead of $14.

9. ctkiteboarding

ctkiteboarding Senior Member

go for it !!!!
    Be there early every morning.
    Stay late each eve.

keep the truck u drive spotless and in good repair, never complain to anyone in the network.

just work , do a GREAT job and get contacts as you meet people. after a year or two the people in the business will hear your name and KNOW that you are a asset to any operation (either as a employee or sub) that your truck looks great and runs even better. Work will always be there for you unlike the guy who has a dirty truck that's always at the tire shop and he's sitting there bitching about his job/boss . he will be the first to be let go.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  10. grizzlycan2011

Those are some good tips, been trying to figure out how to stand out at work with multiple drivers.

11. old skool iron

old skool iron Active Member

:·)»
    My air bag Freight Liner is very very good . The ride in an air bag system is twice as smooth then other options , with 12 hour days you will like the smooth ride . I did install air bags on the front end, best thing I have ever done for my truck , makes the ride stable and square on all terrains and corners . As far as getting stuck once you learn how to drive your particular truck it will not happen , The truck will teach you how it wants to be driven . I have never seen or had an air bag explode . Going on two decades with this fine truck .