1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

first dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by shadow, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ctkiteboarding

ctkiteboarding Senior Member

wow thats a nice little dump truck for sure, good luck with it

2. stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83 Senior Member

Movin dirt
    shiny... i like

Can't say as I like the price tag though, I think I'd have had to get a 16' box and locking tandems or at least a tag so I could carry more than 8 ton with it. I had a 9 ton of #3's on my ford f-800 today and it filled the box completely with 16" of boards as well. Its a super good shape 88' w/ a 7.8 & a 5x2 tranny. 50hp and a jake and it would be perfect. As it is 40k is about all you want in a combo load.

3. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Nice truck!:thumbsup

That color looks sharp. You'll really like that motor/trans combo.

4. Paystar

Paystar Well-Known Member

trucking owner/operator
    Old thread, but I haven't been here lately. Here's my two cents.
    Not sure about the weight laws in your state, but you may not be able to get max allowable weight with super singles on the rear. They would be nice for not getting rocks and stuff stuck between the duals, but remember.......when you get a flat, you are parked.

Air ride is great. Smooth ride and easier on the truck. Plus in most cases better traction than walking beams, especially in the sand. But the mistake I see most make is they don't dump the air when they dump and I watch them have to lock up the diff locks because they can't figure out why they are stuck. What happens is the bags will top out when the heavy load suddenly comes off the truck, then you have no suspension travel and you spin out. Once you get used to knowing when to dump the air, then let it reinflate, you will never be stuck. Plus it is hard on the bags if you dump with them inflated as they top out. As far as reliability, yes you can blow a bag, a levelling valve can go, or freeze in the winter, but I have ran one truck off road for 2 years straight without an issue.

I would love to have an Allison or Volvo I-Shift/Mack M-Drive auto. But they are 10 grand more right off the top. But you may make that back over the life of the truck (just on clutch maintenance costs alone.) Only issues I have seen is you can't rock yourself out if stuck, and I haven't seen the fuel savings in a vocational application that they claim.

I was always a Mack man, but had to switch brands after 2000. The year 2000 to 2006 have too many issues and performance problems. Awesome truck, not so awesome motor. The 2007's are vastly improved, especially the SCR equipped 2011's. Have a friend that is a mechanic at a Mack dealer and they see very few issues with the new SCR engines. Sure you will read threads saying they are no good, but I can tell you many horror stories with all the brands. Pick a good dealer and a truck you are comfortable sitting in. They all break. And they will never match the reliability of the pre-1980's.

Here's a pic of the Air Liner equipped FL I am running. 550 Cat, 18 speed, 20,000 pound front, 46,000 pound rears.

Attached Files:

5. Paystar

trucking owner/operator
    That's a sweet truck shadow. Perfect for a landscaping/bobcat business. Let us know how it works for you. I was looking at one of those with an rv tow body a while back for my rv hauling business. The pickup's just aren't proving reliable running 5000 km's a week.

6. shadow2

shadow2 Well-Known Member

the truck is doing well the body of the truck already needs a new floor. to light of a body had a job were i hauled 500 tons of shot rock out.

looking at a triaxle with a rock body for 4foot minus

tows every thing but the 315 huge upgrade over the 550 for the 25000lbs trailer

7. glenlunberg

glenlunberg Senior Member

Supervisor
    Pretty cool truck! How much it can carry?

8. Andre Grondin

Andre Grondin Well-Known Member

Mack_vente_1 (12).jpg long time no write , here is my ride
    mack004.jpg Mack_vente_1 (11).jpg

9. shadow2

think of adding 2 feet to the frame and add a lift axle putting a 12 foot rock body on the truck to since the body is already gone

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Any current pictures of your truck or equipment? That was a bad ass little single axle when you got it.

11. Paystar

trucking owner/operator
  12. shadow2

can u recertify a truck to a new gvw if you add an axle and change out the steer axle or should u get a new truck

13. shadow2

looking at taking the kw t370 cutting the frame adding 3 feet to the frame and putting a 20k lift axle and a 14k steer axle bring gvw up to 54000lbs from 33000lbs

was trying to debate between doing a hook lift or straight dump body

the dump body will give u a 17 ton pay load but we will not be able to load the truck with the 304 or the older skid steers with out a ramp

the hook will give you a 14 ton payload but the body will only be 4 feet high when load and you get a flat bed

with the hook i also thought you could build a fuel and lube skid for the truck

the price for just the dump body is 40000$ 1/4 sides 3/8 floor or 70000$ for the hook with 2 rock tubs 1/4 side 3/8 floor and flat bed for machines

14. stumpjumper83

stumpjumper83 Senior Member

Movin dirt
    hooklift... yes you loose some weight compared to the dump , but switchable bodies would be awesome. fuel and lube, flatbed for hauling equipment, be able to leave clean stone in a box on certain jobs... etc

15. ctkiteboarding

ctkiteboarding Senior Member

I have the same set up , 53k gvw tag dump,it works great, 17t legal, hauls the 140 on my bws 25t A.R.T. fine, and i have loaded it with a 773 bc , the mini needs a small elevated pad to load it but no biggee. That said i also have the hooklift on my 19.5k gvw isuzu and can switch as needed from fuel/ support utility bed, two 12yd cans , chipper body etc. Hard to say which one is better. but if its only one and no tri -axle in the future id go dump truck, but if you are going to get a badass light tri-axle for 23.5 tons legal, get the hook without hesitation .. fwiw, there is a used hook set up exactly like your looking for in greenwich, not fancy 200k stuff but a badass set up and id own it already if i didn't have both rigs. good luck , pics please

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  16. grizzlycan2011

grizzlycan2011 Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm new to these forums and found this thread hoping I can get some advice. I'm currently a trucker in the oil field hauling water. I'm looking to one day buy a dump truck and haul dirt/gravel on my days off or after work. Something small to get me started. My biggest concern is finding work. Do you go to dirt pits or gravel yards and see if they have any work or do you put ads out? And what sort of permits and licenses would you need? Thank you so much for any information you can give me.

17. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

A part time evenings/weekend dump truck business will be tough. Your only likely customer will be Harry Homeowner. A contractor needing dirt or gravel needs it when he needs it, not when you are off. Most Home owners will call established companies, who might want an o/o to do the delivery, but again, they'll want it when the call comes.

18. grizzlycan2011

grizzlycan2011 Active Member

I know it won't be easy but I need to start somewhere. The guy doing my dirt work right now suggested that I start small until I'm comfortable enough to quit my day job. I just can't quit on hopes and dreams.

19. Aliate

Aliate Senior Member

Then they will stay hopes and dreams

20. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

I'm really not saying give up, just that starting full time with a contract to someone who has a lot of work would probably be easier. I just don't know how much work you will get with limited availability. Trucking is a tight margin business to start with, so don't think you will compete by being cheaper and get anywhere. I have seen a thousand guys buy an old junk truck and think they can be successful by underbidding us. You can get a lot of business that way, but you can't make money that way, purchase price is a tiny part of the cost of trucking.