1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

First Dozer. VPAT / SU conversion. Possible (practical)?

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Olly, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Olly

Olly Active Member

Hi Gents,
    Looking at purchasing a bulldozer to develop a small subdivision (half a dozen house sites / entrance ways etc). The sites are somewhat spread over 150 acres - rolling to steep land.
    I've been looking at the Cats and would welcome some advice. Based on the research I have done I believe I am looking for something in ~ 12-15,000kg range. If the machine is capable of light contract work in the future that would be a benefit (perhaps a cab..). I'm thinking VPAT and a small scoop.

Love the look of the D6M - unfortunately machines here in NZ (compared to the US etc) are overpriced. There is a nice little D5H up for sale ~ thought a little high on the hours: http://www.mimico.co.nz/In-Stock-Now/Other/Caterpillar-D5H-SL-dozer. Alternatively there are some very tidy D6C machines about for < 50,000k.
    However, as mentioned, given the amount of finishing work I expect we will be doing I am leaning towards a VPAT/PAT blade - hoping the PAT will also make life a little easier for a novice operator (done a fair bit of tractor work. No experience on bulldozers).

Can anyone advise if it possible (practical) to put a PAT blade on an older machine (a D6C for example)? Spent the morning searching for conversions but alas no hits. Would a conversion be cost effective? How do the PATS mount?
    Finally, have any of you gentlemen in Australasia tried importing a machine from the US? If so, interested to hear your experience.
    Appreciate your time folks!
    Oliver

2. Olly

Olly Active Member

Sorry Gents - should have mentioned. All grass land here. No tree clearing required. No rock either - spoilt

3. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . .

Other folks would be much more qualified to answer but if it was practical and cost effective I think it would be a more common conversion . . . they mount inside the track frame and for a general purpose machine (for me) the lack of clearance would be an issue.

Mimico are real proud of that little five and, on your numbers quoted, it looks like you may be able to get an angle/tilt six c and a scoop for about the same money . . . the problem as always (in these days of hydraulics) is the ripper.

Gotcha Olly your number two post went up as I was typing . . . most of my reply is irrelevant. (Grins)

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. Olly

Olly Active Member

Gianyar

Hi Scrub Puller,
    Thanks for that tid-bit. I've obviously missed something there - I'm assuming from your post that the six c doesn't have enough hydraulic 'umph' to run a set of rippers + blade. Is that correct?
    Would never have occurred to me!

How convenient is that. Your familiar with Mimco's D5H then.. : )
    Knowing little about the Cats and bulldozers - at 10k hrs sounds like it is time for a bit of a polish (motor and back end overhaul / tack gear). Fair assessment?
    Would welcome your advice as to whether it's worth taking the plunge or going for a slightly older machine (if I can do that without putting you on the spot!).
    If it's likely to cost another 15K in the next 1000 hours that makes it a much easier decision.. Not rushing in, but hoping to pick up a machine so I can start in on some sites this summer.
    Thanks!!

PS - if you dont mind me asking the subscript 'SL' on the D5? Would this be the D5H I or II?
    Have only been able to find the specs for the low ground pressure model.
    http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...make=Caterpillar&model=D5H+LGP&modelid=103756
    Would the machines have similar specs in terms of weight / Hp?
    Having a bit of trouble getting my head around the respective models. I find the enumeration for the respective machines confusing to the say the least!

5. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . .

No, no mate not at all six c and blade and rippers works just fine . . . I'm just referring to the fact that it is difficult to run a scoop with a set of rippers on the back.

No doubt it has been done but I have never seen it . . . in the cable days we had towed rippers which hooked on in place of the scoop as required.

The "proud" comment alluded to the fact that I reckon they are asking top dollar for the five.

I'm a dinosaur from the sixties and seventies and some of the good folks on here are far more knowledgeable than me and I am sure will chime in with more relevant answers to your other questions.

Cheers.

6. LDK

LDK Well-Known Member

I have never come across a 5H SL but looking at those track frames it could be an abreviation for Super Long, the tracks look longer than the LGP model, plus the track frames are not spread to allow for lgp pads. It looks to me like it has at least one roller per side more than a standard LGP but I could be wrong.
    I know in Asia that their were some Super LGP D3 (B or C, I think) models floating around a few years ago, I never saw one in the flesh but I have a freind that ran one in Thailand.

7. Taylortractornu

Taylortractornu Charter Member

Privvate landfill operator/manager
    Local rubbish landfill just sold an oilfield D5B cheap. By oilfield I mean it had a Weldco Beals inside mount six way blade. Where it could be hauled at night under nine feet wide. Not sure what sized pan you could pull though.

8. Olly

Olly Active Member

Cheers Scrub Puller. Clearly I need to start sleeping with the light on.. Getting a bit slow.. Thanks and apologies!

9. Olly

Olly Active Member

Thanks LDK / Taylortractornu, appreciate the input. Thanks.

10. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

These people make the conversion you were talking about, it actually mounts on your outside C-frame.

http://www.rocklandmfg.com/index.php?page=dozer-power-angle-tilt-blades

Now, hold on to your hat:

I called them about 5 years ago and priced one for a D4E,
    $36,000 !!

They didn't have it in stock and would have to make it to order. At that price, I don't imagine they sell many.

11. td25c

td25c Senior Member