• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finish grading using a compact tractor

Polkchop

About a year back I picked up a RK55 (55hp Hydrostatic Cabbed tractor) which is basically a Mahindra. Long story short I purchased it with the intent to grade some driveways, and bush hog properties to make some side income. I ended up getting a contact who needs some help with new construction grading. The first job I attempted to work at I had issues with pulling a grade with my tractor with a box blade. The 3 point controls are super stiff, and near impossible to make fine adjustments in the height of the box. I put the tractor in the shop to see if the dealer could work out the kinks, but if not I may look into moving into a different machine. Does anyone have any tips to share to make grade work easier with a tractor? I currently have a hydraulic top link, however I will be adding a hydraulic side link to it as well for cutting swales. Also I have looked at Massey's, Kubota, and John Deere. Does one manufacturer have a significant advantage over the other? Are there any models of tractors that are better suited for grading than others? I appreciate any advice that you can spare.

AzIron

Massey's is the king of small grading tractors best balance of all and reasonable power to the ground the control is good once you get use to it

Deere makes the best skip loaders in my opinion but that's a lot bigger than what I think your looking for

An ag tractor is not balanced well enough be efficient at small grading jobs and I never found Deere 4000 series or the equal size kubota to be much different from each other and Massey's purpose built grade tractors have them beat

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Wheel weights and or fluid in the tires was always a must when we used ag tractors for grading. We also welded a handle /lever extension to the three point lift lever for better control (get creative with angles) . Those stubby handles are stiff and almost always in a bad location for constant control when you’re turned around watching grade.

td25c

Massey's is the king of small grading tractors best balance of all and reasonable power to the ground the control is good once you get use to it

An ag tractor is not balanced well enough be efficient at small grading jobs and I never found Deere 4000 series or the equal size kubota to be much different from each other and Massey's purpose built grade tractors have them beat

You aint run an Allis-Chalmers 175 . LOL! :D:p

100_1541 (2).JPG

You can drink beer while fine grading with the gage wheels installed .
tower7 006[1].jpg

AzIron

Hey td I only offered my expert opinion of what I knew and that does not involve antiquated grade tractors that have heavily modified boxs to aid in there short comings just saying lol

But when it's what you got it's what will work but didn't allison go out of business in the 80s

td25c

Just jerkin your chain Aziron . :)

If a feller can't make grade with a farm tractor …. What can they grade with ?

This is " White Belt " beginner stuff Bro !

I'll get out your direction one of these days & show ya how to make grade with your Grandad's Minneapolis - Moline . :cool::D

Last edited:

Welder Dave

What ever you use takes a bunch of experience and practice to get the results you desire. You would think there is a way to loosen up your 3pt. controls.

Polkchop

I appreciate the replies, I have ran kubota's with little issue rough grading but this ole South Korean piece is driving me insane. I am waiting to get it back for the dealer, and when I do I am going to put some hours in seeing what I can do to make it work a little better. I know for a fact I have a lllooooooong way to go as far as being proficient at fine grading, but this tractor is a pain. Hey if I can learn on this thing I should be able to grade with anything right? haha. If things don't pan out with this tractor I may contemplate going the Massey route. Dirt work beats the hell out of competing for bush hogging.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I use a 180D Allis and a 9' Deere drag blade that is SERIOUSLY loose in the pivot points. A LOT of practice and you will get the hang of a decent machine. Mine is Tire ballasted, I have a little Utility Deer 2305(20? hp) I use a 7' Rock or Landscapers Rake behind, has extra wheel weights rear, 4wd and added ballast in the rear tires for extra ability. Small loader on both tractors comes in handy as to back dragging the bucket lip on occasion

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Makes a great garden bed 'Fluffer' or if have the time when do food plots makes an excellent seed bed.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
I made a eight foot box with wheels on back and six foot draw bar, works real good longer the better takes up and down out of hitch. will work like small motor grader.

just do it

I have 1959 m-f 50 I use to grade our road what i like about it i do not need to get out of the seat can easily adjust the angle left to right or right to left with hand crank handle you do need to adjust angle before starting with centerlink I use a woods scrapper blade you can maintain the crown or build it up depends on the height of the blade! I tried this with my 2018 m-f 1526 adjusting height and angle of the blade was not as simple and the angle had to done off the seat.and did not work as good as the m-f 50 or as smooth!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I have never seen any of the small ones go cheap around here... there are too many landscape guys paying retail plus for em'

just do it

What we have here is a failure to communicate (cool hand Luke):) What I was saying my M-F 50 3 point is easier to adjust,without having to get out the seat M-F 50 is a utility tractor 2wd yr.1959 my M-F 1526 is a compact 4wd yr.2018 with a front loader.the 50 has a adjuster on the right hand side for the arm so you can in this case adjust the pitch of the blade or angle.left to right or right to left without having to get out seat:D!you can do this on 1526 but you have to do it before you start and off the seat and can not do it while your grading,or moving:mad:!!! I noticed this feature is not on newer ag. tractors:(. I"ll follow up on what this part is called. In this case old is better!:cool: