• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finish blade with gps

Whowho05

Hello everyone this is my first post and I love all the advise that i can read from everyones posts on this site.. I have a question about finish blading with gps, the company i work for purchased gps for equipment about 3 years ago started with the topcon but just recently we switched to trimble because of tighter tolerances on an airport project we are doing. It seems like if i try to just "flip the switches and go" like the caterpillar guy said the blade tends to be really jumpy and that is after i get the grade watered and compacted i like to leave it about a tenth high then cut one last time to grade and compact again. We have had the caterpillar guys come out and look at the machine and they say everything is how its supposed to be. I end up usually only running the side with the mast on automatic and running the other side manually, I tried running both sides but our grade failed tolerances which is 3 hundreds, has to pass straight edge, 100% compaction, and pass proof roll. Is there anything i can do different or is it a machine issue? Any help is appreciated. The machine is a cat 140H tier 2 with about 8500 hours and i would call it good condition not great. I have been running a blade for about 4 years now. And its all the newest equipment from trimble to my knowledge with the robot that follows the prism on the mast.

JDOFMEMI

My first question would be is the blade good and tight? If ALL the components are not tight, the slack in the system will let it bounce enough that the gps "hunts" and never settles on a good grade. Everything from the blade tip pivots, slides, circle, cylinder ends for both lift and side shift, cylinder pivots, and so on can cause a bad grade.
Another thing I recall is to check the sensitivity selection on the control box. Is it set to fine or course? I have not been using gps for a while, so I am rusty on it, but maybe some of the blade experts can help out further.

vapor300

Sell the tromble and put the topcon back on it and buy a milimeter head, are tolerance was .02 and we did it all with topcin milimeter system. And now they have the 3Gmc2