1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding qualified help

Discussion in 'Personnel' started by AECCorp., Apr 3, 2016.

1. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Dont get me started on poor planning that's the biggest reason I work by the hour I have been to one job off and on for the last 2 months we have moved the same pile of dirt no less than 3 times

I have some customers that are just a breeze to work for even on the really complicated stuff cause they know what they want and how to accomplish it and I have others that can't figure out how to layout a job let alone have it ready before I get there

2. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    "FINDING" qualified help is NOT hard to find.. "KEEPING" qualified help IS..

3. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

You will want to remember that when your on the table under the knife. Doctor how many back surgeries have you performed? Only one and that will be yours but
    I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Truck Shop

4. thepumpguysc

I know whatcha mean.. The ER I ended up at isn't known for saving lives if ya know what I mean.??
    I could go to Charleston for the "bone" stuff, but I'm not so sure its worth the hassle??
    The other hospital has all the xray's & write-ups already.. & whats the worse that could happen, they cut it off ?? So I pick my nose w/ the other hand..Lol

funwithfuel likes this.
  5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Our local hospitals are Triage only setup, they align you for transport to one in the Columbia or STL MO large hospitals some 60-80 miles away. Hurt enough to be crippled by delay and you may as well count on losing functions.

My back surgeries were done by the presumed best in the state. He was pretty straight forward in warning of age related arthritic issues he saw while inside, gave me around a decade before gets to where will be a major issue(two years ago now). Then the SI joint issue came up where I most likely had carried that over thirty five years and could not feel it damaging it a little more each year where now it has feeling and lets me know when I am doing too much as well the insurance company Will NOT pay for repair. Aging is a trap and a trick, you still see and think as you have for decades, just the body will/can no longer make it happen.

funwithfuel likes this.
  6. petepilot

petepilot Well-Known Member

you sure said a mouthful there

kshansen, DMiller and oarwhat like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

The qualified truck driver and just finding drivers has another side to it, especially when it comes to OTR refrigerated freight. My boss just like many others constantly cry
    about finding drivers and has complained to us in the shop {I don't know how many times} why drivers are so hard to find. DUH? My response-The driver shortage started
    about 3 years ago as the percentage of unemployed dropped not helping the situation. Good drivers started picking up close to home jobs {Prevailing Wage} which really
    shrank the pool and at 3.7 percent unemployed employers are raising wages to keep the drivers they have and stop them from jumping companies. Which causes inflation.
    In the frozen/refrigerated trucking business you don't want to see employment percentage fall below 5%. Good times or bad just average employment figures of 5 to 6%
    are what you want to see. With 3.7 percent your going to get the dregs from the bottom of the barrel for drivers. Next thing to rise is your insurance cost from the new hires
    damaging your equipment which he has already seen and admitted to. JMHO. I'm sure this will bring a sour response. lol

Truck Shop

8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Are seeing that in the bulk commodities divisions here, the guys and gals shops want to hire are already working, that leaves those just coming off driving school yards or as in my case retirees looking for a boredom breaker. All too many do not or can not do the hours the employers want or demand and play spin the bottle as to the Next employer. Good people that work hard are out there working hard, those that slough are not and at best are slightly damaging machines not destroying them.

Don't know how to jump from here and in no way have any answer on how to fix.

9. thepumpguysc

Regardless of the responses TS.. "I THINK" your dead right.. I really hate to see unemployment at 5-6% but in THIS situation, {drivers} I understand..

10. 4x4ford

4x4ford Member

aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
    I’m a driver and what truck shop said is exactly right I ran 2.5 years reefer and currently run flatbed and am starting to seriously look at something closer to home I know the first good snowfall we get along 40 from Oklahoma eastward it’s going to look like ww3 with all the new drivers supposed to get 3-5 inches this week in Missouri at the house and I’m sure that will be interesting

11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Was rough along the 44 corridor yesterday, had a pair of Tractor Trailers get into a incident at Chesterfield MO on I64/US40, both burned one driver died. I got tired of working around the idiots when I was still driving the Grain haul, saw enough ignorance accidents to fill a encyclopedia and in under a year.

12. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    My favorite line is I can run anything that moves, and another good one fed to me by a hoe man was " diggiin's diggin". Just because a guy can pull the controls and make it work, doesn't mean he's an operator. Technique and common sense comes into play. One of these I can run anything guys came with us on a private job. I cut out the material with the grader and he took the material away with the backhoe. The customer had a hole he wanted to fill. He moved the material away as fast as I cut it out. Went to check on his progress..... Nice and level, but instead of filling the hole, he filled the ditch draining the hole. I like the guy, or girl who says little, and asks questions

DMiller likes this.
  13. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

We had a guy just like that. He was filling a dump with stone that had to go a short distance. While the dump driver and I were talking he kept filling. We heard stone falling and looked up to see every sq inch of the box full. It was piled so high when he dumped on top it ran off. He did a few other dosies before we let him go.

DMiller likes this.
  14. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

That's just being efficient and not wasting space. LOL

15. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Been involved with someone as that loading grain. Ended up pulling out of a farm grossing 89,730 but only had sixteen miles to get to the elevator. Tarp would barely roll over the mounds! He was being helpful and loaded the truck as I was taking the other one to the elevator, had planned on going to the Grain Depot in IL some 108 miles away to offload but that was NOT happening.