1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding qualified help

Discussion in 'Personnel' started by AECCorp., Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jeckyl1920

Jeckyl1920 Well-Known Member

Haha, right?

I can't afford it tho....

2. AzIron

AzIron Well-Known Member

No one ever can

Jeckyl1920 and DMiller like this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I started my own trucking company at 23, owned my own semi on lease to a line haul company then; I was a Working foreman for more than one company with at the highest point six working FOR me, at the same time had my own side business working HE as I could get to or Marine as they would find my name thru word of mouth. I never advertised or volunteered a phone number to a service just to those that spread the word I worked hard and relatively reasonable.

JUST DO IT!!

4. check

check Senior Member

Most hiring is done based on the lowest common denominator. That means they expect everyone to be stupid (as stupid as them?). Now a stupid guy with qualifications and 4 years experience in his craft can usually be expected to function in the required capacity. That is almost a sure thing. A guy who says he can do something and has no proof is a big risk.
    Now if the people who did the hiring were smart themselves, they would understand that a jack of all trades is what he is because of superior cognitive skills. He can teach himself most trades. He may not be as fast but he can figure it out and do it and improve from there.
    Another problem is anti-discrimination laws. If they hire someone because they think he's smart in spite of his minimal qualifications, then they may get sued when they don't give the same treatment to the next guy with minimal qualifications. These lawsuits again bring it down to the lowest common denominator.

funwithfuel, Jeckyl1920 and Ronsii like this.
  5. catwelder

catwelder Well-Known Member

welder
    leap of faith or a good long drinking weekend could help also. I never liked the union though. the starting your own company is also nice because the potential is all yours and the economy is doing good its a good time to put your feet in the water and try.

6. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I started out with a pickup full of tools rattling around everywhere. And a flexible side job to pay the rent. Did it all on cash, or credit cards paid in full when the statement came, making sure the accounts are short and the customer pays before the credit card comes due.

DMiller and bam1968 like this.
  7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Lot of pressure on your own. Can you hack it?

Lee Trevino is a professional golfer that started out working as a caddy for food and family money. I'm paraphrasing his take on pressure, "pressure is the last hole on the golf course working a $100 bet with $10 dollars in your pocket."

Business is a leap of faith in your own skills, abilities, ethics and moral code to fulfill any commitments you make.

mikebramel likes this.
  8. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I think this is overstating it a little but being in your own business is not for everyone like being outside of prison is not for everyone.

This country would be better off if a lot more people had the Lee Trevino experience.

DMiller and Delmer like this.
  9. Jeckyl1920

Jeckyl1920 Well-Known Member

I would love to start my own backhoe and excavating business. I would have to run everything off rental, which would be rough. I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just tough.

I may start looking for Saturday work as a backhoe service and start there. The thing with all this is, being in southern california, I need a contractor's license and insurance. That's just to start looking. I'm not a fan of doing things the wrong way or illegally.

10. AzIron

AzIron Well-Known Member

Something you might look into but in az you don't need a license if your digging for the licensed company for that specific work

So a plumbing companies license will cover the company they hire to dig for plumbing same with a concrete company just a thought

Over half the guys in my area are unlicensed cause they sub directly to the plumber or concrete guy by the hour so its pretty cut and dry

DMiller likes this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Not a fan of CA or CA laws, was born there but lost nothing to go back there. Over regulated, over-hyped, and OVER expensive. Chargeable moneys are great rates but have to be just to live there.

Jeckyl1920 likes this.
  12. catwelder

catwelder Well-Known Member

welder
    for nc I just have to be under 30k but I still went and got everything legal which was a test and that was it but other then that renting isn't bad if your dealer is good

DMiller likes this.