• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding qualified help

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I started my own trucking company at 23, owned my own semi on lease to a line haul company then; I was a Working foreman for more than one company with at the highest point six working FOR me, at the same time had my own side business working HE as I could get to or Marine as they would find my name thru word of mouth. I never advertised or volunteered a phone number to a service just to those that spread the word I worked hard and relatively reasonable.

JUST DO IT!!

check

Since this thread is here, I figured I would use it for the opposite of the OP's reason.

I'm pushing 36, almost, and run into the ever imposing issue of, "do you have experience in X?" I say, honestly, no, but I'll labor for your vet for a week, or on anything I'm unsure about, then you can get me the machine and I'll out operate your vets in 1 to 4 weeks.

Not one person ever believes me. Why should they? I can run anything with a motor. In a day I'm familiar with it. If you want me to perfect it, leave me on it and you will see it work.

Oh, did I mention I read plans? Do estimates? Detail rebar for tilt ups? Decks? Set elevations? Rag... hub... set forms. Tie rebar, finish concrete, rake AC, grade, labor, glue and solder pipe, hang dry wall, paint by hand or with a sprayer, weld, torch, wrench, diagnose mechanical issues..... the list goes on and on. If I dont know how, or don't have experience, give me one guy that does and we'll get a 4 man job done.

No one has a clue how to use me because I'm "the tall guy that does everything."

No one is willing to pay for that either because I dont have 10-20 years of specialized experience in whatever they specifically want.

Anyways, rant aside... I signed on to IUOE. I am a skilled labor, who ends up being a shovel and broom guy due to the insane shortage of labors, no one wants to, and no one physically can because you do 3 men worth of labor typically. My boss wants to try to keep me on, but I know he can't match union wages and benefits. However, I do know he can give me job security, and stays local. The union scares me a bit, since it is based on seniority.

I have no clue what decision is the right one. I think union has more potential to be a hoe operator, and not always be a shovel and broom man. How stable would it be tho? Are they going to lay me off at the first sign of slowing down? Should I just jump and hope I land somewhere good?

Anyone want to hire me? Lol
Most hiring is done based on the lowest common denominator. That means they expect everyone to be stupid (as stupid as them?). Now a stupid guy with qualifications and 4 years experience in his craft can usually be expected to function in the required capacity. That is almost a sure thing. A guy who says he can do something and has no proof is a big risk.
Now if the people who did the hiring were smart themselves, they would understand that a jack of all trades is what he is because of superior cognitive skills. He can teach himself most trades. He may not be as fast but he can figure it out and do it and improve from there.
Another problem is anti-discrimination laws. If they hire someone because they think he's smart in spite of his minimal qualifications, then they may get sued when they don't give the same treatment to the next guy with minimal qualifications. These lawsuits again bring it down to the lowest common denominator.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Since this thread is here, I figured I would use it for the opposite of the OP's reason.

I'm pushing 36, almost, and run into the ever imposing issue of, "do you have experience in X?" I say, honestly, no, but I'll labor for your vet for a week, or on anything I'm unsure about, then you can get me the machine and I'll out operate your vets in 1 to 4 weeks.

Not one person ever believes me. Why should they? I can run anything with a motor. In a day I'm familiar with it. If you want me to perfect it, leave me on it and you will see it work.

Oh, did I mention I read plans? Do estimates? Detail rebar for tilt ups? Decks? Set elevations? Rag... hub... set forms. Tie rebar, finish concrete, rake AC, grade, labor, glue and solder pipe, hang dry wall, paint by hand or with a sprayer, weld, torch, wrench, diagnose mechanical issues..... the list goes on and on. If I dont know how, or don't have experience, give me one guy that does and we'll get a 4 man job done.

No one has a clue how to use me because I'm "the tall guy that does everything."

No one is willing to pay for that either because I dont have 10-20 years of specialized experience in whatever they specifically want.

Anyways, rant aside... I signed on to IUOE. I am a skilled labor, who ends up being a shovel and broom guy due to the insane shortage of labors, no one wants to, and no one physically can because you do 3 men worth of labor typically. My boss wants to try to keep me on, but I know he can't match union wages and benefits. However, I do know he can give me job security, and stays local. The union scares me a bit, since it is based on seniority.

I have no clue what decision is the right one. I think union has more potential to be a hoe operator, and not always be a shovel and broom man. How stable would it be tho? Are they going to lay me off at the first sign of slowing down? Should I just jump and hope I land somewhere good?

leap of faith or a good long drinking weekend could help also. I never liked the union though. the starting your own company is also nice because the potential is all yours and the economy is doing good its a good time to put your feet in the water and try.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Lot of pressure on your own. Can you hack it?

Lee Trevino is a professional golfer that started out working as a caddy for food and family money. I'm paraphrasing his take on pressure, "pressure is the last hole on the golf course working a $100 bet with $10 dollars in your pocket."

Business is a leap of faith in your own skills, abilities, ethics and moral code to fulfill any commitments you make.

Jeckyl1920

I would love to start my own backhoe and excavating business. I would have to run everything off rental, which would be rough. I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just tough.

I may start looking for Saturday work as a backhoe service and start there. The thing with all this is, being in southern california, I need a contractor's license and insurance. That's just to start looking. I'm not a fan of doing things the wrong way or illegally.

AzIron

Something you might look into but in az you don't need a license if your digging for the licensed company for that specific work

So a plumbing companies license will cover the company they hire to dig for plumbing same with a concrete company just a thought

Over half the guys in my area are unlicensed cause they sub directly to the plumber or concrete guy by the hour so its pretty cut and dry

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not a fan of CA or CA laws, was born there but lost nothing to go back there. Over regulated, over-hyped, and OVER expensive. Chargeable moneys are great rates but have to be just to live there.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
for nc I just have to be under 30k but I still went and got everything legal which was a test and that was it but other then that renting isn't bad if your dealer is good

Hokiesmokes

Only downside on renting is the cost of machine time. It's the way I go but you have to watch the hour meter sometimes you don't have the room to pay another day on a piece of equipment. It adds a bit of complexity to managing jobs sometimes too if a machine has to be back or you can't get it. This thread's a bit derailed. I've noticed a lot of places looking but paying unlivable wages. I've been looking to go back into it working for somebody full time; a lot of these places don't call back for an interview and always seem to be advertising for people. Many are offering too low of a wage for me to take a job. Class A CDL and seat time where I'd say I can do it on about anything but friction rigs and graders and places want to pay 15 to 20 an hour. Problem is I'd like to keep my house and that isn't going to cut it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

Who told you the IUOE has seniority. It does not. A contractor can keep or lay off any personnel they want. I laid off or kept dozens and dozens in my career based on project needed talent and work ethic.

StanRUS

Who told you the IUOE has seniority. It does not. A contractor can keep or lay off any personnel they want. I laid off or kept dozens and dozens in my career based on project needed talent and work ethic.
IUOE Local 12 has seniority = A list, they have 1st shot @ jobs. 60 months to be instated(receive any benefits paid; quit @ 59 months, kiss that $$ good-bye) and get on the A list.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not all IUOE locals have a seniority clause. Can be called by the employer for specific individuals that show better skills or ethics here in MO.

As to wages there are tons of advertised Class A CDL jobs here, some with HE background to P&D machines or to work both phases, they too fail to be competitive with wage or wage/benefit packages to draw workers worth their salt. Sad for the industry. Many are low balling $12-15/hour where shop work or in house work at long term employers are well over $20/hour, will not get many Quality applicants this way.

Last edited:

AzIron

Around here we see the same trend with wages maybe just a little better

I think one thing that drives it is half the guys walking through the door dont have much talent to offer anyone that does has a job that pays decent if not great

Jeckyl1920

Around here we see the same trend with wages maybe just a little better

I think one thing that drives it is half the guys walking through the door dont have much talent to offer anyone that does has a job that pays decent if not great

I feel the problem is they expect experience over talent. They dont understand talent when they see it, or vice versa.

AzIron

I think the problem I really see are a lot of the bigger places that can pay decent dont have anyone hiring that has done the job and the smaller guys can't pay as well or if the y can are pretty demanding cause as an owner working with employees it gets hard from time to time to keep your expectations reasonable the small guy use them self's as the standard and most guys are not going to work like the owner

But the margin of error in this business has changed drastically trades dont work together no one looks ahead I can't get customers to schedule digging more than 4 days ahead every day I get a call needing a backhoe for tomorrow and everyone is shocked I am a week out or more

Jeckyl1920

I agree 100 percent Azlron. Owners use themselves when they were in their prime, and expect you do do that all day every day for peanuts.

I can vet anyone in anything I have experience in just by spending one day learning their method. I see how they work, how they work with others, guage their flexibility in the skills they have, and the quality of their experience they use.

I use the same method for things I'm not experienced in, and most of the time my first impression is pretty close.

Me personally, the first thing I look at is how they labor. Knowing how they were trained to work at the start tells you how well they can work with others. The fact that so many will pick up 1 shovel and move to a new location when there are 10 tools on the ground still amazes me.

The same goes with job scheduling. I see small jobs stretched out for years, seemingly for no reason other than poor planning. I also see equipment sit on sites for months collecting dust, never moving.