• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding qualified help

mekanik

I work 7.5 hours two days a week now that I's semi retired. It will fill in until I qualify for my Canada and old age security pensions. Its a pretty good deal but some how I was talked into doing a head gasket on a Maxxfarce 10.
I prefer the smaller jobs that get done in a day or two.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
In for the bump.

End of the year and I'm running the numbers at NorthernTankService LLC.

Turns out. I'm Employee of the F'kn Year! Can you even believe that? I was only sober for 1/2 of 2022. Late everyday, except for lunch break.

I'm getting assigned my own parking spot for Pickup 87. Yeah. No joke.

skyking1

I work 7.5 hours two days a week now that I's semi retired. It will fill in until I qualify for my Canada and old age security pensions. Its a pretty good deal but some how I was talked into doing a head gasket on a Maxxfarce 10.
I prefer the smaller jobs that get done in a day or two.
Sounds like my winter. I worked last Wednesday, made 3 trips with the dump truck and called it 8. Nothing since then. I stopped by to fill in a time card today.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am Still getting pinged for job requests, even the shop I just left said were awaiting my return first of year, thinking gonna bow out. Wife still pushing I need go back to work where I am ignoring her.

Finally getting used to my own schedule and my own priorities not having to punch a time card or record miles.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm not even an employee in my own company? I do have a reserved parking space though.

In some ways it has been nice to not have to be somewhere in nasty weather with the truck in four wheel drive to get there and mud half way up on my rubber boots.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had argument with a twit, whined about cost at dealer for repairs that were not warranty covered, six year old machine. Explained should be doing such work himself(30 something year old), said no mechanical aptitude where I returned with 'well then just accept the cost'. He went on to explain USED to get work on older car done at local garage, they closed, said owner was not that old and inferred was HIS fault he had to turn to dealer by retiring. Let him have five minutes as to what Age means and how with age the ability to use hands or back wanes where likely HAD to retire for health. Got that damned Deer in Headlights Blink, Blink. People have no clue is a Mechanic Shortage, they see the shops closing, never put two and two equals four together. Dealers here have a average three week wait list to get in for diagnostics, only jobs that change that priority are emergency vehicles and city services required repairs. HDT and Eq garages are even more disadvantaged, Fabick Cat schedules around when can pull road techs in due to adverse weather to work off shop back logs, Freightliner and Pete can only deal day to day around opened service bays, KW works against warranty backlog to get general customers in which averages around one to two weeks. Most shops here have one mechanic working three to four bays with jobs tied up for days on parts.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Only lasted a little over a day. What was on the tube was about the end of the storm with the ice partially melting and water on top. Somehow the news media picks up on the idiots and lunatics.

We went to Portland, Oregon on Saturday morning with no troubles. Portland had a couple of inches of snow still on the roads and the thaw was hitting hard. Lots of standing water on the roads when we left on Monday afternoon.