• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finally got a new service truck platform...

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
My trusty F550 is starting to show its age so I’m forward planning to phase it out by fall 2019.
Since I’ve been predominantly in a mining environment I decided to build a truck that will tolerate the haul roads and severe conditions.
I’m going up a few sizes, hoping the new cab and chassis works out good.
2001 Freightliner FL80 4x4
Extra cab
3126 w/9 speed (probably convert to auto)
4.68 ratio final drive
Not sure of the original build spec but it seems considerably taller and tougher than the average 4x4?
Ex oilfield, I’m the second owner.
Going to change out a few things to make the unit solid and reliable, frame up re spray and then send it to get a service body.
Final configuration is not decided on at this point. I’d really like to keep my knuckle set up but may be limited by cash. We’ll see...

Attachments

• 37ADB92E-7F3E-49FE-956F-51416593940D.jpeg
    37ADB92E-7F3E-49FE-956F-51416593940D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Not to throw cold water, you probably know better than me but around here 3126 is a four letter word.
Yep... won't be my first encounter with one and I agree, certainly not the best power pack.
The way I see it, I've bought into the truck as an evolving project. I'm also using my money not the banks so my choice is limited.
To tear out the power train and replace is something I'll be considering when I've got the truck up and running and showing me some pay back.
I personally like the Detroit 50 series mated with an Allison.
Change of subject; Grass Valley, thats where my Uncle lives... Small world right!

colson04

Looks like a former Schlumberger truck, though most of their fleet (at least here in the states) are Peterbilt 357's. They all have white crew cabs with painted blue frames and bumpers very similar to your truck. They also used to run a bunch of Pete 362 cabovers, but they have ventured away from them over the last 10 years or so.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
One thing I do remember about the F L-series cabs is the rear mount brackets Where is tied to the frame or air suspension depending on what configuration you have it would sometimes tear the tin was too thin there. something you may want to look at reinforcing

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Looks like a former Schlumberger truck...
It certainly is

One thing I do remember about the F L-series cabs is the rear mount brackets Where is tied to the frame or air suspension depending on what configuration you have it would sometimes tear the tin was too thin there. something you may want to look at reinforcing
I’ll certainly look at that... not sure, but you’d expect the extra cabs be tougher ?