• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

finally got a forklift but cant identify year/model

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
been wanting a forklift for some time now.I could always find uses for them around the house but could never find a great enough deal on one to pull the trigger.Now having just put up a new pole barn I could use one a lot more

so I ended up picking up this old clark from a job I was working on.It was last used a year or more ago for odds and ends around a local concrete plant.I cannot seem to find any images close enough to narrow down results yet.I have been searching for a couple hours now at least.

First thing I did after unloading it was try to see if it would fire up.Cracked the propane valve open and right away what looks to me like a pressure relief valve just in between the tank and motor starts hissing/leaking.After closing the tank valve ruffly 3 minutes and the hissing goes away.

I grabbed a set of jumper cables and jumped a brand new fully charged battery to the dead one on the clark and has a super slow turnover.actually stopping after 1/4 to 1/2 revolution of the crank.

Any old clark owners on here?
What would cause such a slow crank over?
Looks like a generator setup if I'm not mistaken
How to identify model/year?
Any info greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance!!
20150402_175256.jpg

lantraxco

That can instrument panel was popular with Clark in the 60's, hard to see much from that view, but I am guessing a C30 with a flathead 4 continental, maybe a Y112 engine. Jumping a stone dead battery won't give you a good crank, the jumper cables no matter how good just aren't up to it. Could also have some rust in the cylinders and they're surely stone dry and squeaky. You need to fix whatever is leaking liquid propane obviously, and get the battery charged if it will or a new one. I would pull the spark plugs and pour in about a tablespoon of Marvel mystery oil or in a pinch some ATF and then gently try to spin her over with the plugs out. You get it spinning easy and the propane system working, verify spark, if it's going to run, it should light right off.

Good luck,
Lanway

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
Lanway, Thank you very much Sir for the information you have taken the time to provide me with!!

So first thing this morning work called off due to rain so i was on a mission to see if this thing would run.

I picked up a new battery,Marvel Mystery oil and a hydrostatic relief valve.Let me tell ya trying to find a relief valve was kinda a pain as I did not know whether to call an equipment dealer or propane dealer.I ended up finding one at a forklift repair shop here local.

The lift had a Rego hydrostatic relief valve part number CL6016-10270.I could not find one local without ordering it but the gentlemen at the repair shop said this one would work part number ET08023 made by Total Source so hopefully it won't cause harm.

After replacing these couple items i went for the first fire and bam! this little gem runs and sounds like a sewing machine!!! I can't put in words how excited I am right now to have a forklift that I can use around the shop and house.I have a terrible back and this thing is going get lots of use and be a tremendous amount of help with odds and ends.

I guess now I will continue to find out model/year etc.....

If you were to have purchased this unit what would be the first thing as far as maintenance you would perform.I will do oil change,filters,fluids etc...as soon as I can figure out what I have so I make sure I put the right fluids/parts in it.

By the way......paid 100.00 for it:D

20150403_101323.jpg20150403_101338.jpg20150403_101349.jpg20150403_101430.jpg20150403_101448.jpg

lantraxco

Yay! Actually could be from the fifties, and it might only be rated for 2,000 but I'm leaning towards 3,000. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more recent memories, my forklift days were in the 80's, when I worked on machines like this and even older! Just keep it filled with lubricants and it will run longer than you or I most likely. Cheers :drinkup

Delmer

Nice buy! I like a good pallet jack, but then you usually pay more than $100 bucks for one.

Sure wouldn't hurt to find all the grease zerks and give them as much grease as they need, then again after a few months of use. Same with some spray grease on the joints that don't have zerks. You know it hasn't seen any grease in 20 years most likely, and you'll forget about it after the honeymoon.

Watch your head with that. Even a substandard ROPS would give you some warning if you back into something, and protect you from most stuff that might drop on your head.

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
Nice buy! I like a good pallet jack, but then you usually pay more than $100 bucks for one.

Sure wouldn't hurt to find all the grease zerks and give them as much grease as they need, then again after a few months of use. Same with some spray grease on the joints that don't have zerks. You know it hasn't seen any grease in 20 years most likely, and you'll forget about it after the honeymoon.

Watch your head with that. Even a substandard ROPS would give you some warning if you back into something, and protect you from most stuff that might drop on your head.

x2 on the no ROPS!! will be fabbing one up asap! :eek:

gonna clean it up good and hit all zerks for sure ;)

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Thats a cool little lift. It will be real handy on hard surface. Remember the mast sticks above your forks. Pretty common for folks that only occasionally operate forklifts to poke holes or do damage to the structure above, or to garage door or headers when going in or out.

Whats with the big exhaust stack on the 210 JD garden tractor in the picture? Is it a racer or puller?

Last edited:

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
everything I am finding close seems to have two mesh inserts in the side doors.i did come across one pic with one mesh style door but no solid info yet.where does clark put the serial numbers on these old gems? 1950s_clark_forkliftcarloader_1_lgw.jpgclark_forklift_3_lgw.jpg003.JPG

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
Thats a cool little lift. It will be real handy on hard surface. Remember the mast sticks above your forks. Pretty common for folks that only occasionally operate forklifts to poke holes or do damage to the structure above, or to garage door or headers when going in or out.

Whats with the big exhaust stack on the 210 JD garden tractor in the picture? Is it a racer or puller?

The 210 is my bone stock chrome stacked summer yard mower...:cool:mows ruffly 1/4 acre once a week.I Like older mowers...they just don't make em like they used to:beatsme

20150130_203109.jpg20150130_202703.jpg

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
If it is a 2000 lb machine, it is a CLARK "Clipper". mfg in the 50s.
If it is a 4000 lb machine, it is a CLARK "Carloader. mfg in the 50s.

In your center pic , showing right side of machine.
There appear 2 holes.
Beneath the lower hole, and extending forward appears a rusty line.
Sort of a box outline from the holes, forward, then up to top of floorboard, then floorboard line back
down to edge of the hydraulic tank., then down from top hole to lower hole.
You are looking for some letters and number stencil cut into frame, about 1 inch high.
Look closely as it will have layers of paint. If you can locate any, then using this outlined area,
use a hand grinder with a good wire brush, scrub it down.
You will find something like CEC-125-54 or CL-125-54.
They being the serial number and year of mfg.
Luck.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Will have to mull it a little more for break out. May be truck #826 of production run #486. Look good farther right for more #.
1st though, loosen the LP tank straps, standing looking at the valve/hose connection end of the tank,
turn the tank about a 1/2 turn c/clockwise. Get the pop off pointing up, the hand valve to the right, then the
draw tube will be in the bottom of your tank. As it is, you will "run out of fuel" with a half tank left.
Those two holes are access for grease fittings in under there. Those have been greased by the excess outside.
Engine is a Continental Y112.
Use straight 30W oil.
Use AW32 hydraulic oil.
Use 90W gear oil in the diff.
Probably has a"hang on" FRAM oil filter canister,
Open it and match what is in it.
Should be a "can type" air cleaner in there somewhere.
A NAPA Store will be able to provide filters and ignition parts,
and probably have the little truck listed in their indexes. Try them.

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
Will have to mull it a little more for break out. May be truck #826 of production run #486. Look good farther right for more #.
1st though, loosen the LP tank straps, standing looking at the valve/hose connection end of the tank,
turn the tank about a 1/2 turn c/clockwise. Get the pop off pointing up, the hand valve to the right, then the
draw tube will be in the bottom of your tank. As it is, you will "run out of fuel" with a half tank left.
Those two holes are access for grease fittings in under there. Those have been greased by the excess outside.
Engine is a Continental Y112.
Use straight 30W oil.
Use AW32 hydraulic oil.
Use 90W gear oil in the diff.
Probably has a"hang on" FRAM oil filter canister,
Open it and match what is in it.
Should be a "can type" air cleaner in there somewhere.
A NAPA Store will be able to provide filters and ignition parts,
and probably have the little truck listed in their indexes. Try them.

excellent information!!:notworthy
no more numbers to the right as of yet.I will clean some more paint off tomorrow:D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Yes, and you should fix that locator pin on the side of the tank strap bracket, that pin lines up with holes in the grab handle of tank to locate the tank in the proper rotation as mentioned by TD24.

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
Yes, and you should fix that locator pin on the side of the tank strap bracket, that pin lines up with holes in the grab handle of tank to locate the tank in the proper rotation as mentioned by TD24.

Will do willie59!

In bed with flu today so not much accomplished except. .....:eek:

A small cedar kids play house was delivered today for a birthday party we hosted

I was able to use the forklift and saved my back and time toting it around and then later loaded it on a pickup truck

Geesh........I love this little lift:D

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
best way to bleed brakes on this lift? reservoir was bone dry.added fluid but pedal does nothing.thanks in advance!

Captain Nemo

Occupation
recycler
This is my not messing with the wheel cylinders method.... It has worked many times for me and if you are lucky, it might work for you to get you going. This is a shade tree method but if your brake fluid has evaporated over the years you may get brake pedal again...this is no substitute for a real brake job !!

fill reservoir
let sit overnight or longer
add fluid if necessary
slowly push with finger or foot until you see bubbles hold pedal there until no more bubbles appear
release brake pedal
slowly and gently repeat procedure
if you start to feel resistance with your foot push easy and let sit
push pedal one inch and watch bubbles
add more fluid
look under forklift if you see brake fluid.. fix problem

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Captain..
You learned this a long time ago or from and old guy.:)

jay42782

Occupation
Laborer's Local 231
This is my not messing with the wheel cylinders method.... It has worked many times for me and if you are lucky, it might work for you to get you going. This is a shade tree method but if your brake fluid has evaporated over the years you may get brake pedal again...this is no substitute for a real brake job !!

fill reservoir
let sit overnight or longer
add fluid if necessary
slowly push with finger or foot until you see bubbles hold pedal there until no more bubbles appear
release brake pedal
slowly and gently repeat procedure
if you start to feel resistance with your foot push easy and let sit
push pedal one inch and watch bubbles
add more fluid
look under forklift if you see brake fluid.. fix problem

thank you sir! i will be giving this ago soon!working 16 hour days right now.thanks again!