1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Finally dug it out

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by pclearey, Sep 3, 2015.

1. pclearey

pclearey New Member

I believe this has been sitting in my woodlot since before WWII. One day I was driving by it with my little Mahindra and decided this is the day I get that out of the ground. Took 4 1/2 hrs to dig, jack and shim it out of there.

Three of the hubs need work but everything else seems to operate fine.

IMGP0365.jpg IMGP0384.jpg IMGP0383.jpg IMGP0381.jpg IMGP0385.jpg

2. Okielite

Okielite Member

Nice find! If it works great, if not is a great piece of decor for the property.

3. furu

furu Active Member

Definitely a classic piece of equipment.

4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If you've ever tried grading a driveway with a loader or three point blade, you'll see how useful that dolly and long wheelbase are.

5. alskdjfhg

alskdjfhg Senior Member

Wow. That looks to be in nicer shape than most of my equipment.....

6. pclearey

pclearey New Member

Does anyone have any Idea what year this would have been built? It's (as the pic shows) an J.D. Adams Leaning Wheel Grader No 2C. I could not find much about it on the web. Just one old flyer. Would be interested in any knowledge offered. Apparently it came in three versions, 4 horse and 6 horse drawn versions and a power unitdrawn version (which this is).
    adams1-610x452.jpg adams2.jpg

7. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Wow, that is in remarkable condition. Nice save.

8. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Most likely 20's, maybe 30's, or teens. That's my guess.

9. watglen

watglen Senior Member

Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
    That rigs a gem!

Bring it up to new condition, it'll be worth a fortune!

10. mrbb

mrbb Well-Known Member

wo, that reminds me of one of them that sat on a farm I hunted
    it was there when they first started putting roads in , in the area, back in the 30's
    it sat on the edge of a field from about the 40's when the war started they parked it and it just sat there a tree grew up between the frame

I offered the farmer money for it several times
    all he kept saying was well some day it will be your's LOL

then he died and a family member came in and took it to the scrap yard before I could get it??
    I would have paid him a few times over what scrap was going for too
    BUT it was one of them, jerks of a family member, and thought all the machines about the farm were eye sores and scraped everything, even when I tried to buy them for a LOT more money than scrap

But good for you,. on saving it
    like others said, either to work it again, or just a cool piece of history!

11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    I think there is or at least was one like that on a state game preserve in Central NY. I believe it had been used to build and maintain roads around the ponds where they raised ducks and geese. The guy who ran the preserve passed away and I don't think he was ever replaced. The house he lived in on the island was torn down. Not even sure if there is access by car to the island these days.

12. Dirtdigger53

Dirtdigger53 New Member

Saw an Adams 1 sell in Kansas City Richie Bros auction July 21, 2015. Brought $1,000.

13. JGibson

JGibson Well-Known Member

Thats awesome! As others have said, even if you don't use it, a great piece of lawn art. I love to incorporate old equipment in my hardscaping designs

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  14. JGibson

JGibson Well-Known Member

sorry double post

15. Taylortractornu

Taylortractornu Charter Member

Privvate landfill operator/manager
    I have a friend that uses one on his farm. He puts it behind a D4d and a long cable. He or his kids drive the d4 and he drops down into aditch to clean them out. Often grades his farm roads.

16. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

The last time scrap was down i went to a farm to clean up some scrap iron. There was 2 loads that were not going to weigh much but there also was a horse drawn grader. It had a seat up front for the mule skinners to ride. I thought the grader would make the job pay good so i spent a long day loading and hauling scrap then late in the evening circleing back to haul the grader home. I broke even on fuel selling the scrap. I tryed to sell the grader for a year and ended up selling it for $50.00.