• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final drives oil color

Hendrik

I just did the major 2000 hour service on the Kub KX41-3V and the oil that came out of the final drives was black as coal, is this pretty normal or an indication of problems, I could see no metal particles in the oil.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Probably not. How often do you change the oil? On my KX91-3 I change mine a couple of times a season (manual says every 500 hours, yeah right). The KX91-3's have had a couple of shafts go out according to my dealer so I am watching just in case. The little bit of oil and small amount of time seems worth it to me. My next purchase will be plugs with magnets so I will know for sure if there is any metal. Even now I run my magnet through the oil to see if I can find any metal.

Janni

Oil is cheap final drive not so change it every second engine service........... it will pay of in long time (and if some thing is going on in there you will detect soon to prevente failure
Cheers

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
The manual for the KX41-3s/v says to change the final drive oil every 250 hours so that is what I do!!

Its quite fiddly getting the fresh oil back into the gear box though - I'm always worried that I haven't put enough in!!!!

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
It may be too late now but you could send the oil out for an analysis. Wouldn't be the first time someone found an unknown problem by doing oil analysis. It could also help deciding if you want to keep it or move on.

When I purchased my KX91-3 the mechanic suggested I send all fluids out for inspection just before the warranty runs out, just in case. I think that was the wisest thing he told me. A heads up to upcoming problems makes the oil analysis look inexpensive.

Janni

Its quite fiddly getting the fresh oil back into the gear box though - I'm always worried that I haven't put enough in!!!!

There is filler and level plug??? on the cover of the final drive, and also you can get a small pump to put W80/80 gear oil
until level plug start showing oil
Cheers

Hendrik

Thanks for the replies, I changed the oil in the Kobelco SK005 and it was black as well, so it seems that it is normal for the oil to go black. I will be changing the oil next time I change the engine oil and I did not see any metal bits in the oil.
To fill it I use a small oil bottle (1 liter) which has a scale on the side so I can put in the required 250ml of oil and then use the attached tube to pour the oil into the drives. Obviously when the bottle is empty the drive is full;)
For the SK005 drives I use a syringe to pour in the 40ml's required:eek: