• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final Drive Case 1150 C

foursons

I'm getting ready to tear into the final drive on the 1150 I just acquired. I will admit that I know nothing about heavy equipment repair for the most part. I build houses, fix farm tractors and can work on about anything else, but no experience with heavy equipment.

Do you have any recommendations on where to order a manual for a 1150C? I live in Alaska so my local store options are limited when it comes to service manuals.

I do not know the extent of the damage in the final drive yet, but I know the large rear drive sproken has alot of play (3 inches or so) in it. The machine is up on blocks now and I can move the track and sprocket side to side by hand.

After I pull the track, what is the next step on getting into the final drive? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Also, the machine has about 4500 hours on it. Would it be a good idea to pull the other final drive and replace those bearings and inspect that bull gear while I am it as a maintenance effort?

Thank you.

Randy88

You can try ebay for service manuals, otherwise buy new from case, depending on what vintage 1150 you've got and what manual you need, as for tearing it apart, take the track off that side after you jack it up off the ground, take the drive sprocket off, unbolt it and remove it, it should be pretty straight forward and simple but heavy and awkward to handle, then once its off see whats left to the housing and gears, most likely not much and start to hunt used salvage yards for the entire deal. As for the other side, its a call you'll have to make, you've got a 50/50 chance it'll run a long time before needing repair but pull the drain plug and look for filings and things like that, if theres nothing obvious I'd opt for leaving it alone and see what happens, it'll also depend on how much time and money you want to put into it.

Putting it back together takes time and patience, you need to adjust the gears for backlash and things like that, its been a while since I tore one apart so I might be rusty at telling you the right way to go about it for sure.

As for inspecting the gears inside you could just pull the cover off and take a look inside it if you wanted to, I think its on the bottom of the case but I'd have to go to the shed to look at mine to be sure, its not something I notice every day, or else its on the back side but right off the top of my head I'm thinking its on the bottom, do the first one and you'll know what your looking for on the second one.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Here's a pic for you Rex, go to casece.com they have online spare parts catalogue which will be handy for you.
Try casemanuals.com for a manual

Remove the sump; cover on inside of axle; three retaining bolts & plate; axle can then be removed; support the bull gear & take note of the spacer position.
This will reveal any damage - look at the bull pinion up in the housing.
The FD housing can be removed if neccesary - rippers will need to be removed if fitted.
Try not to damage those shims between the final drive & trans housing - they are made of gold foil according to Case.
Give you more info as required.

Attachments

• 1150c final drive.gif
    1150c final drive.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,147

foursons

alrman,

Thanks for the starting point. I will tear into it and put on the brakes just short of the gold foil. This helps a ton.

Rex