• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Filling scraper

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
We’re mowing dirt to build a road. Our load site/borrow pit is probably 100-150 yards long and plenty wide. My son is operating it. He’s very good on dozer, excavator,loader etc but has no experience on a pan. It’s a pull type 14 yard with 4 hoses. Wheels up/down bowl/gate up down. He’s getting the hang of it but just wondering if there’s any trick to the trade so to speak like how far open should the gate be when u start loading anything if that nature. We have a 9180 Steiger pulling it so we have plenty power. Also on the rear remotes. Does it matter which line is up and which one is down? I know the lever works either way but is there any harm in putting them on to for your preference? Levers in cab say push to extend pull to retract. Will it damage anything using them the other direction? Thanks

56wrench

Well, my steiger hyd levers are push for down and pull back for lift. Float is all the way forward. As far as i know, they can be used the other way which would be counterintuitive for most applications. The apron should be open just far enough not to restrict the material going in but not open so far as to permit excessive material from falling back out. He'll get the hang of it after enough hours on it. Working in sand it usually helps to pump the bowl up and down as you load. When the tractor tires are wider than the cut(with dual wheels), you have to be a bit careful so the outside tires don't carry most of the load up on the edge past the outside of the cut. If the outer tires have the same pressure as the inside ones, it puts a lot of extra stress on the wheel centres and you may encounter wheel cracking around the reinforcing gussets on the backside of the wheels assuming you have 38" rims. The 32" rims didn't seem to be as bad. Thats why for heavy scraper use a lot of guys prefer the 30.5-32 single tires and a tractor with diff-lock on both axles

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I’m sure my Steiger is the same as yours I’m probably reading it wrong maybe the arrow pointing to the bottom side of the levers means pull it down to where the arrow is pointing that makes more sense

terex herder

Forward puts it down, backwards lifts it up. It doesn't matter what implement I'm pulling. Except with the pan, pull back on #2 lifts the pan and opens the apron, forward closes the apron.

The tractor doesn't care which direction activates which end of the cylinder.

Southernindianadirt

Tricks I have found with our 17e10.5 ejector renyolds I don't have any experience with carry-all styles

Gate position is relative... on hard cuts I open it up 6in to a foot if you keep your gate tight it will also prevent you from gouging so bad but as i fill up I find myself opening it up more. Now lose dirt is alot harder to pick so I keep the gate pretty open to keep from bunching up in front of the pan but it will never load as good as hard cuts
Also learning to pick it up over the whole cut most guys wanna load fast and get out but I prefer longer pulls the smoother the cuts the more consistent loading you can get also less tire spin the faster it will load since you're not wasting time going nowhere
With that entering the cut slowly remember you can only get an inch or two of hard ground without excessive slip

56wrench

When I was young and a TS14 operator, quite often we would race while loading in the borrow pit side by side. You could pass the inexperienced operators by taking a lighter cut and when they saw you do that, they would take a deeper cut to try to load faster and watch you pull away fully loaded while they were still chewing away:)

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
If you have a wide enough cut I like to leave 2-3 ft between my slots so I end up with a 'free load' every 5th load or so. Take 2 loads move over and take 2 loads and then come back and take the center out with the 5th one (which usually loads real easy hence the name "free load"). My scraper is wider than my tractor tires which makes it a little easier to do.