• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fill Rite 12 volt pump for 2, 55 gal barrels.

emmett518

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I did not see a fuel forum, so I posted it here.

I need to set up a refueling system for the new backhoe that is due to arrive. Ideally, I'm looking to store 100 gallons, as that is the minimum that my local dealer will deliver. I do plan to add biocide and anti-gel to keep the fuel stable. Also plan on putting a spill pan underneath in case of a leak or barrel rupture.

A home heating oil tank would be great. I could install a level gauge, a fill pipe, an "out" pipe, and a vent. But I don't want to keep 275 gallons of diesel around. It's too much for my needs. 100 gallons seems ideal. I could fill the 275 part way, but that would leave a ton of air space over the fuel which seems like a problem. I hoped to use metal, 55 gallon barrels.
Actual diesel tanks for pickups, job sites and the like seem expensive.

Since there are only two bungs on a 55 gallon barrel, I'm not sure how to equip each barrel with a vent, an "out", a level indicator and a fill. I hoped to mount the Fill Rite on the wall, and plumb the tanks with black iron pipe.

Any ideas how to make this happen? Even if I did one pump for each barrel, I'd still have to remove the pumps every time I wanted to refill the barrels.

emmett518

I decided to install an electric Fill-Rite on my home heating oil tank. I have spare bungs, and the vent, fill gauge, and fresh fuel is already there. Further, the tank is always inside a heated cellar, and I don't have to worry about a shed, power, foundation, or anything else.
Problem solved.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
91D9C639-477A-4331-A3FC-7C0FECE2982A.jpeg In my world, can’t have a fuel drum sitting on anything but containment. Not sure what regulations cover that, but my customers yell at me if I use a drum without containment. These plastic things do make a nice platform and easy to move drums with a lift truck.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In most places it is still legal to burn non-biodiesel in off road equipment. Ask your supplier for the real diesel and 90% of storage and old fuel issues go away. If he doesn't have it check around, not all venders carry the non-bio.

emmett518

View attachment 236508 In my world, can’t have a fuel drum sitting on anything but containment. Not sure what regulations cover that, but my customers yell at me if I use a drum without containment. These plastic things do make a nice platform and easy to move drums with a lift truck.

Makes good sense. Wondering why home heating old systems don't use such things.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Home Heat is ULSD1, so it doesn’t fall under ASTM D975. I don’t think it gets blended with bio, anywhere. But, I could be wrong.

Sourcing 100% dyed off-road ULSD2 with no bio, is possible, but hit or miss depending on your location.