• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fill—Rite Tuthill 15gpm 1200 model. Rebuild the electrical motor. Magnets broke.

bill fold

I ordered a full-rite pump repair kit for this 15gpm unit. Turns out, the pump side was fine. the armature electrical motor side was corroded, heated up, and the magnets from the case were cracked and broken .
So, this is like a lawn mower starter. The magnets are glued in.

is there an electrical motor kit that includes magnet with case??
I’m already invested in to a new pump rebuild kit. Why not buy and rebuild the motor side?

Where can I get the parts? I have googled everything. I can find an armature kit but no magnet.......

If I replace this thing. Should I buy a fill-rite or a GPI? I have a at least 10 machines running. A few mid size dozers and trackhoe as. Some backhoes and ctls.
I’d like a rebuildable unit.

Thanks!

mitch504

If there are just a few pieces of the magnet broken and loose, try just taking the loose pieces out. I have done this many times and can't tell a difference.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I stopped using Fillrite pumps years ago. Every pump here is a GPI. Every part can be had.

I've been running GPI pumps for 20 years. They are pretty reliable once you bypass the "relay" in the housing and straight wire it to the toggle switch. From my experience one can get 7-8 years of everyday service out of a GPI pump before the motor goes out and have to buy a new one.

Now we do have a Filrite 120V pump on the 500 gal off-road tank at our yard that I bought a year ago. Time will tell how that works out.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I don’t think the motor parts are available. I switched everything over to the cold weather GPI GPRO35 115v with good success. I had a few problems with the GPI mechanical meters at first. The fuel company I worked for provided Trans-Cubes to customers as a keep fill solution for job sites. The GPI pumps held up very well. I probably had 20 units in service.

The Peej

I had a fillrite 20 gpm for a few years till the motor over heated and caught fire. Didn't think that was a good quality for a fuel transfer pump. I have a dayton now that I think is made by GPI

bill fold

I had a fillrite 20 gpm for a few years till the motor over heated and caught fire. Didn't think that was a good quality for a fuel transfer pump. I have a dayton now that I think is made by GPI

My pump got to where it with or blow the huge fuse between pump and battery. I’d end up using a nail and stand by closely in case something happened. This final time.....it almost melted the nail and luckily I was able to burn my fingers as I yanked the nail out when I saw smoke!! GPI pumps are at tractor supply. Maybe I should try them. They have a nickel finish instead of red. Maybe that is more weather proof.

heymccall

GPI pumps have different 2" thread setups.
The one I saw at tractor supply you had to spin the entire pump to thread it to the tank.
The ones I get locally have a female swivel nut on the pump and an adapter (basically a pipe nipple) that you pretreatment onto the tank.

I have M150 and M180 pumps in service. I prefer the M180 as the outlets are 1" npt (top or side, pipe plug is pre-installed into top outlet).

Only minor gripe is that the swivel nut loosens on some of mine, allowing the pump to rotate. The 180 and 150 also have different motor numbers.

As an aside, I now run the water blocking 10micron elements.