• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Figuring out slope/grade percent

Welder Dave

Not having dealt with a lot of precision slope work could use some help. I've heard a 1% grade is a 12" drop over 100 feet. Does that mean each percent would be another 12" drop over the same 100', ie/ 2% would be a 24" drop over 100'? I need to put a slope on my flat track oval to help with drainage and make it better suited for smaller cars like micro sprint cars. They tried the track and liked it. A slight slope would make cornering better and help with run off. Was made flat for bikes but the cars are much more interested so I'll cater to them. Bikes can still run with a slight slope. I'm hoping to hire the county grader to slope it. They will do custom work for $100/hr. but might be busy fixing washed out roads. Could this be done without a grader? I have a skid steer and a tractor with a box blade and land plane. The track is 65' wide and I'd like a 1 to 2% slope. How would you go about this? I can tilt the box blade somewhat but hoping someone has done something similar.

AzIron

Correct 1 percent is 1 foot in a hundred or 1/8 inch per foot 2 percent is 2 foot in a hundred or 1/4 inch per foot the equipment you have can do the job the question is do you have the time and skill level to accomplish it

A blade will do it faster but are you just going to cut out the low side or are you going to borrow the dirt from another spot to build up the outside corner

Welder Dave

Thank you for that. I'd like to try just dig the inside lower. I think a grader could do a little of both, take material from the bottom to build up the top section. Maybe I could do a little of both too? Scrape some of the material and use it to build up the track. Sandy clay material was used to build the track up after all the topsoil was stripped off. I'm wondering if I could tilt the box blade or even the land plane so one side cuts more and just do a bunch of laps to get a rough slope and then smooth that out. The other idea was get a short section at the slope I want and just expand it all around the track kind of like leveling dirt starting off from a flat area? It's just a huge area is why I think it might require a grader. It's approx. a 1/4 mile around the middle and 65' wide.

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It's much easier to work out percentages using metric measurements. 1% = 10 millimetres per metre and so on. 65' =19.812 m, crossfall is 198mm @ 1% :D

Tones

Occupation
Is not, is not, is not. Get out of here with that new fangled metric nonsense. :)
Mate, your lot beat the Poms in 1783 and you still want to use their dumb measuring system, I don't get it.;)

Welder Dave

I'm more interested in the best way how to do it if a grader isn't available. I'm in Canada so have metric but I'm much more familiar with standard measurements.

Tones

Occupation
Without a grader the landplane would be my next choice. If the track is dead flat then to get a 1% crossfall the deepest cut should be about 4" while the fill should be about the same At 34.5' will be the cut to fill line

skata

Do you have a laser? You can just go around and mark on the ground how much you need to cut and how much to add.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Were it me, I'd use a lazer level to set grade stakes at 15' apart lanes. Use what you got to create flat, (or pitched) between the grade stakes. Once you have an interrupted plane you have chosen, Place a new set of stakes center of each lane. Grade to them.
I'm sure my second son with his GPS survey drone can make the process faster.
You'll need a surveyor to build you a plot, then a GPS guided bulldozer will suffice.

Your surface is big. 40 foot railroad rails can be set 10 feet apart with elevation transit guided, then a dozer blade is a screed between them

Tones

Occupation
Something I just thought. Regrading just the track could lead to another problem "drainage". Would it be better to win fill material from the infield and use it to bank the circuit or import fill from somewhere handy?

Welder Dave

I think for the shear size of it I think I'll need a grader to come in or I'd be there for a month of years. It has to be sloped and it has to be smooth. Having a laser equipped machine would work but I think it would be cost prohibitive at this time. The county grader that came out the last time had a level in the cab that he could follow to stay on the same plane.

Tinkerer

If the grader operator is any good at all, he can slope it like you want it, Dave.
It is a dirt race track not a precision NASCAR track.:) ( I worked on the construction one for over a year).
Those cars are going to tear the he** out of it anyway. If there was asphalt going on it then that is a whole different story.

Welder Dave

I can get it pretty smooth once the slope is established. It has too be smooth for the smaller tires and shorter wheelbase cars. There's a possibility the track could become their home track and they could get sponsors and such to make it into a real nice facility. A few drivers came out and really liked it. Last Sat. a bigger group was supposed to try it but it got too much rain. With the track being relatively flat any low spots would hold water.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The Rutland Fairground uses a two wheeled trailer with blade in the middle. Never been there when they are working the track. But I imagine they can use laser to create a plane, add material where it is needed. This grader apparatus is equipped with several hydraulic lines. It hinges in middle to raise & lower the blade, and angles. I'd guess it tilts also.