• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

field mechanic

td25c

Answer cell phone & get details on problem and directions to the job site .

Show up & repair equipment as needed.

Thank the customer for calling as you hand them the invoice .

That's the short answer..:)

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
i'm a field mechanic for a private construction company. my duties consist of diagnosing and repairing equipment, trucks, trailers, and company pickups. I do all the parts ordering, some parts running, listening to operator complaints, helping the lowbed driver, welding, a/c work, maintenance records, delivering bad news to my employer,haul culverts to the jobsite etc, and THEN if I get all that done I do some work for ranchers and other outfits through my employer. Are you looking into taking a job?

overworked

MikeL, thanks but I don't need a job, maybe a shrink !!! I was looking to see how the outside world operates, keep them coming.

big ben

My list of expectations of a field mechanic
1. Troubleshooter - this is what separates the best from the good - effective and efficient troubleshooting
2. Ability to repair or get equipment going without the right parts or tooling if required
3. Well rounded and know a little of all systems (eg engines, hydraulics, powertrain, electrical)
4. Someone with people skills to interact with the customers and ability to present themselves professionally

02Dmax

Able to act confident and reassuring even when tackling something they've never been into before. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
That's a loaded question. Anywhere from 20 to 150 dollars an hour depending on your circumstances.

02Dmax

For a major dealership?

I think he's including company men and independents. I worked for $16 an hour at my last real "job" about 6 yrs ago. Been on my own since then and my rate is $90 an hr. Obviously that's not what I take home at the end of the day but for arguments sake people would say I make $90/hr. With some specialized tooling for specific jobs $125/hr or more is easily within reach.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

wrenchweld

Occupation
Heavy duty diesel mechanic
In Alberta an "aprentice" green hand no tools starts at 20 an hr. A journeyman makes 45-60 an hour. If you're looking to do field work for the money you will be dissapointed. A good field mechanic does what ever it takes to fix the clients problem quickly and efficiently. Always make sure the client is happy with the work you are doing. Your building your reputation with every job you do, good or bad.

overworked

Wrenchweld, yes I do agree, anyone wanting to do it just for the money won't last. We love the field work, dealing with ungrateful customers just gets old sometimes. :deadhorse

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
You won't last in this occupation doing it for the money, this applies to any occupation. When I was an equipment manager I told my mechanics that they had equivalent responsibilities to any superintendent on the job. They were the ones with the books to reference (plans) they were in charge of measuring stuff themselves (no grade checker) they had more tools on their truck than all the rest of the job put together, they determined scenarios for repairing (not an estimator) they purchased lots of there own parts (not a purchaser) they had class A cdl's with hazmat endorsement not many professional truck drivers coming or going had that! One that gets me is you never see a laborer or operator by themselves always at least two, how dare I consider apprentices helping older mechanics in the field "do you know how much that will cost". I can't think of much a field mechanic isn't expected to do????TIO