1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

fiberglass swimming pool ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by maddog, Mar 20, 2012.

1. maddog

maddog Senior Member

Hey folks just wondering if any of ya have experience with installing fiberglass pools. I have a chance to get a small inground 8X20 for the boss(wife). I'm wondering about lifting it and loading it on my flat bed dump. My truck only has a 12 foot bed so that would leave 8' sticking over. I'm not worried about the haul, it is a short distance on back roads. What I'm wondering is if the pool would be strong enough to set like that on my truck. I'm also wondering the weight of a pool that size, I believe it's just shy of 1000lbs. Thanks for any ideas you can offer, even any tips on installing.

2. maddog

maddog Senior Member

wow 125 views and no one knows about pool installation? I would have thought that would be big business in certain areas.

3. Cat287B

Cat287B Well-Known Member

I had one installed 16 years ago. Can't remember how the home made spreaders worked. They used a small Case back hoe to install.
    I demo'd a house a few years ago that had a fiberglass pool. All could think off was how much room it would take up in a dumpster. I didn't think there was any way to get it out with out ruining it. Took a little time and care and got it out in one piece.
    I drug it out in the front yard and put a for sale sign on as a joke. A guy stopped by and I gave it to him for free. He put on a 16' trailer, tied it down real good and took it home.
    I would suggest you visit your local Fiberglass pool store as a customer and ask to see them install one.
    I don't think you'll have a problem hauling it if you tie it down real good and drive like grandma.
    Pete

4. maddog

maddog Senior Member

Thanks I got this one cheap, it's smaller that's why I'm trying to do the move myself. I just thought with all the operators here, a couple would have set a few in the ground. I did call my local fiberglass dealer(stealer). Well as things go they instantly started in with the fear tactics and telling me all these outragous fees. Then of coarse they told me how much a new one would go for and how easy it was for them to set them up. They also gave me a real special on a pump and filter.......$3000.00 same pump/filter combo brand new on ebay under $500.00

Years back I set pools up with my dad and then my wife and I have done a few also, these were above ground but the basics are the same. I have also built a hot tub heated by a home built woodstove, we just felt this is a good deal.

5. Cat287B

Cat287B Well-Known Member

Did you get that pool home yet?

6. maddog

maddog Senior Member

yep, thanks for asking. I used my mini IHI35J to flip it right side up, then loaded it on the truck. Handled it with no issues, actually went smoother then I thought it would. It did over hang off the truck but it was no real issue. Now I quess the work will begin :) Once I can get the wife to stop changing her mind were she want's it set :dizzy

7. Axle

Axle Well-Known Member

electronics tech
    After the call before you dig guys have done there thing, make sure to mark out a line where it would be really inconvenient to install it. <nudge><nudge><wink><wink>

Alex.

8. cheyenne

cheyenne Active Member

I'm in the Adirondacks also, As to pools I used to be in the business & built over 3000 of them.... But they were all steel wall vinyl liner......As to your installation the most important thing to remember is your water table, If it's high & comes anywhere near your pool your pool will be like a big cork & pop out of the ground, so it's imperative you put a hydrostatic valve in the main drain....The next important factor is your digger & hole prep, you will have to shape the hole to fit the bottom of your pool & then somehow wash it in....Don't be fooled by all B.S. dealers tell you..... The wholesale price on a 16x32 pool around $ 1,500 You can get a good sand & gravel filter for a couple hundred.....If I can help let me know.........Cheyenne