• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Few Quiz Questions on 793 Cat Dumpies???

ben46a

Well i just help put the first 2 93Fs together up here in the oil sands reigion for KMC, sparwood BC got a few this spring. No bad looking trucks, they cheaped out on the cab though.
As far as hours, Syncrude has some 93s with over 100,000 on them as well.

CAT793

Ben are they SSJ, 1HL or 4AR that achieved over 100 000 Hours?
And do you know what UPGRADES they had along the Way:-
VIMS
MUI to EUI, A or B or even HD? Any Pics?

guru

Yup I have to admit when I am WRONG..........I had this Wrong!

Now I know who you are GURU I am not supprised you have a GOOD GRIP on 793 Dumpies........

Here is some more just for GIGGLES:-
1. Does a Speed/Timing sensor measure Speed?
2. What is the function of N1 and N2 on a ICM Tranny?
3. What is the Redundant feature of a 3516 A still cast into the Block all the way up to C Engines?
4. What is the Design Flaw in a 793C Header Tank Assm.?
5. How many "Tractor Protection Valve's" does a 793C have?
6. Can you bench FLASH an ADEM II and configure it in Multi Torque? Why/Why Not?
7. How many different types of Piston Cooler Jets on a 3516?
8. How does a CDL use 2 Pieces of 16 Gauge Copper Wire to transmit information between ECM's.
9. Who casts Fan Hubs for CAT 793C?
10. How much HP does the Fan and Pump Drive suck on a 793C?
11. MYSTERY Question (I don't know the answer to) Why did CAT go to the effort of relocating the TC Out Speed Sensor to the Transfer Gear Housing. What is the advantage?

Do you have any 793F or 797F Trucks in your area yet?

OK, give it a go...

1. It measures Engine Rpm, (Frequency change) Camshaft Position (Square Wave change) and Direction of Rotation (Square wave pattern).
2. N1 and N2 are only used on 785-793 trucks. When the shift lever is in N, the trans is in N1. The pattern on the rotary spool is, N1, N2, R, 1, 2, 3, etc, as you rotate it around. The lever is R, N, 1, 2, 3 etc. So if your in N on the cane, then shift to R, the rotary spool clicks from N1 through N2, to R. Ok, so then when you shift from R on the Cane, you go through N to get to 1. So for this shift the rotary spool shifts from R back through N2 to N1. (This lines up with the N on the cane), then the trans goes N1, N2, R, to 1 position. Anyway the reason for all the shifting all over the place is to add a time delay between directional shifts. It helps the larger clutch packs of the bigger trucks to fully disengage before engaging the opposite direction clutches.
3. Have no idea... something to do with the woodward governers/ mechanical fuel passages maybe??
4. Cat don't have design flaws! lol :) But interested in your answer
5. If you mean Pressure protection valves in the air system then the 793C has 2 factory fitted. One to separate the main air system from the secondary (back of the cab) and one on the ARC relay valve supply from the main air tank.
6. Yes you can bench flash a ADEM 2. It's dangerous to assume. As I haven't done it I don't know for sure. I would expect though that the ATY flash file is defaulted to the Multi torque setting, but in saying that, the eng ecm needs to talk with the trans through CDL for that config to work. If that comm's don't happen, the ENG ecm will stay in the 2160hp mode (dual Hp config) Interesting to hear your thoughts.
7. Don't know??
8. It uses a SAE standard communications protocol. Putting a scope on it you can see the signals as a square wave blip.
9. Cat? somewhere in mexico is expect
10. About 130HP
11. I believe it cleans up the COS signal. Cleaner signal = more accurate speed reading leading to the xmsn being able to calculate trans shift time a little more accurately. Not 100% on that though.

Yeah we have several fleets of 793F's running around. 3 moving dirt. 2 more getting commissioned as we speak plus a HEAP more on order. The first 797F's are on the boat. Due here in nov. They are wanting 3 of them onsite before the transport curfew over xmas. See how they go. They are a nice truck. the C175 is a nice bit of gear.

:)

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
Morenci and Sierrita both have 100k+ hour trucks running. Sierrita's 30 truck is the oldest/highest houred, with Morenci's 501 truck coming in second. Last time I drove the 30 truck (in 2004 or 2005) it had just been converted to the HD engine and VIMS cab.

Here's the 30's sister from the same order:

Sierrita102.jpg

And a small portion of the Morenci fleet in a rare idle moment:

NeedsClassified065.jpg

alco

Ben are they SSJ, 1HL or 4AR that achieved over 100 000 Hours?
And do you know what UPGRADES they had along the Way:-
VIMS
MUI to EUI, A or B or even HD? Any Pics?

No idea what upgrades they have had through the years, but there are twelve 1HL and one 4AR on the current roster. All have passed the 100,000 hour mark.

CAT793

Originally Posted by guru
OK, give it a go...

1. It measures Engine Rpm, (Frequency change) Camshaft Position (Square Wave change) and Direction of Rotation (Square wave pattern). Clever Sensor........The output of the engine speed/timing sensor is a series of pulses. The frequency of the pulses is dependent upon the speed of the engine. The ECM interprets the frequency of the pulses as engine speed. The shape of the pulses is dependent upon the rotation position of the camshaft. The ECM reads the shape of the pulses in order to determine the position of the camshaft.
2. N1 and N2 are only used on 785-793 trucks. When the shift lever is in N, the trans is in N1. The pattern on the rotary spool is, N1, N2, R, 1, 2, 3, etc, as you rotate it around. The lever is R, N, 1, 2, 3 etc. So if your in N on the cane, then shift to R, the rotary spool clicks from N1 through N2, to R. Ok, so then when you shift from R on the Cane, you go through N to get to 1. So for this shift the rotary spool shifts from R back through N2 to N1. (This lines up with the N on the cane), then the trans goes N1, N2, R, to 1 position. Anyway the reason for all the shifting all over the place is to add a time delay between directional shifts. It helps the larger clutch packs of the bigger trucks to fully disengage before engaging the opposite direction clutches. Early Trial ICM Trannies were critised by operators for the Delay in Motion after a Direction change. Extra Drilling in the Rotary Spool brought the Engineers Time in Fill Rates to eliminate the Delay!3. Have no idea... something to do with the woodward governers/ mechanical fuel passages maybe?? The Plenum is still cast into the Block from "A" Series. "B" Series have a DODGY tin Plate over it for the Plenum to sit on Top Of.
4. Cat don't have design flaws! lol But interested in your answer. The Divider Tank between the two circuits in the Header Tank has a scollop cut out of it. So when either circuit fails an Oil Cooler both circuits get contaminated with SLUDGE.
5. If you mean Pressure protection valves in the air system then the 793C has 2 factory fitted. One to separate the main air system from the secondary (back of the cab) and one on the ARC relay valve supply from the main air tank. Spot On.
6. Yes you can bench flash a ADEM 2. It's dangerous to assume. As I haven't done it I don't know for sure. I would expect though that the ATY flash file is defaulted to the Multi torque setting, but in saying that, the eng ecm needs to talk with the trans through CDL for that config to work. If that comm's don't happen, the ENG ecm will stay in the 2160hp mode (dual Hp config) Interesting to hear your thoughts. You can indeed Bench Flash an ADEM II but you can not configure it in "Multi Torque". The ADEM II has to see a Signal on the CDL from the EPTC II that it is a 4GX Family of Transmission and thus has the Upgraded Clutch Packs to handle the additional HP.
7. Don't know?? I can think of 5....."A" Series Piston, "B" SS Series 2 Piece and "B" Series Monotherm, HD Series 2 Piece and HD Series Monotherm???
8. It uses a SAE standard communications protocol. Putting a scope on it you can see the signals as a square wave blip. Sweet!!
9. Cat? somewhere in mexico i expect The yarn I was Told by a CAT Freak who I never heard an UNTRUTH from is "John Deere". If you have a Look at the Pulley you can see a cast symbol "DF" which stands for "Deere Foundry" which I am told is right next door to Layafette.........
10. About 130HP I was told 300 HP! 150 HP through the Pump Drive and 150 HP to drive the Fan.
11. I believe it cleans up the COS signal. Cleaner signal = more accurate speed reading leading to the xmsn being able to calculate trans shift time a little more accurately. Not 100% on that though. Do you think the Slip Joint and the two Uni's would play a Part in the "Signal Noise"? IRONIC isn't it that "D" Trucks have heaps worse VIMS Graphs for Slip Times..........

Yeah we have several fleets of 793F's running around. 3 moving dirt. 2 more getting commissioned as we speak plus a HEAP more on order. The first 797F's are on the boat. Due here in nov. They are wanting 3 of them onsite before the transport curfew over xmas. See how they go. They are a nice truck. the C175 is a nice bit of gear.

Last edited: