• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Feul use on smaller loaders.

BadCompany

I want to buy a small to medium loader for our snow removal business because I may be doing a large shopping center and I need to make TALLER piles. I know the up front costs of these machines (not cheap) but what I don't know is how they are on fuel use.

Do any of you guys have small to medium size loaders that you use for snow removal? How many gallons (liters?) per hour do they use? I really need the help because it's contract season and fuel is no longer an after thought.

BTW, here is what a cat dealer told me.....

Cat 908....75hp.... 2 gal hour
Cat IT 14g......95hp.... 3 gal hour
Cat 924H......128hp...5 gal hour.....target machine
Cat 930H.....150hp....6 gal hour....target machine
Cat 950H.....200hp....8 gal hour...

Are they real? He can tell me twice as much and half as much and I would nod like a wet noodle. He also told me that snow removal is the heaviest use of fuel because the machine is in constant motion and constant load. The other thing he told me was that Cat sizes their fuel tanks to meet a ten hour hard working period. Is that true?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,day Bad Company and welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums. I have no experience with the H's but your figures are not far wrong for 924 and 938 in the G series...maybe a little light for digging. In general, for the 938GII we got about 12 hours general use out of a tank with that being mostly cut/fill while loading out trucks.

Here is an old slightly relavent thread: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1244

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
W14b

I have nice Case W14B that would work for snow removal, 5.9 cummins 1989 w/ 1765hrs enclosed cab W/heat all windows and doors intact 12500.00 in geogia, also has set of forks w/ attachment. all original and bucket is like new with no wear at all, cuttting edge has zero wear, let me know if you have an interest. Dont know fuel usage but its minimal, this is a non-turbo mehcanical engine, I've only used it for 3-4 hrs total and its not big enough for what I need,but its a true hr original machine, thanks,Rick 321-228-6684, Have pictures if interested

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Is snow removal the sole pirpose of buying the machine? Last winter lancaster, Pa didn't get a plowable snow. No work makes payments really big... Might be good to have fulltime work for the machine or else rent when needed.