1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fatal accident

Discussion in 'Safety Competition' started by CM1995, Oct 10, 2013.

1. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    We lost a good one yesterday, my heart and prayers go out to his family and infant child.

http://www.local15tv.com/shared/new...e-industrial-accident-4557.shtml#.UlXlRRas3dk

Sam was running a trackhoe not a backhoe clearing for the power company yesterday when it slid down a 20' embankment. I don't know all the details but it was a track hoe and it didn't roll over on top of him.

RIP Sam. You were one hell of a guy and will be missed.

2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Man, that sucks to lose a friend like that. Give his family our condolences if you can.
    Mitch

3. monster76

monster76 Senior Member

sorry for your loss may he rip

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

I had only gotten to know Sam over the last few years, although my wife went to high school with him. He was a good operator and right hand man to the contractor whom I have know for several years. The news article said he was temporary labor which pisses me off, but we all know how the news media reports things half-assed.

5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Oh, yeah, I'm surprised they got as close as calling a trackhoe a backhoe, I thought all we had were bulldozers.

6. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Or steam rollers..:rolleyes:

7. grandpa

grandpa Senior Member

Sorry to hear that CM.... not much we can do for that poor soul now..... except think about it during our day to day operations, and maybe it might make us think about something that might save one of us someday.

8. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Sure hate to hear about that CM1995. As Gramps said we can think of it and reflect and possibly prevent it from happening to one of us. Rest In Peace Sam.

9. Landclearer

Landclearer Senior Member

CM, I hate that for you , sorry for your loss.

10. 95zIV

95zIV Senior Member

RR Contractor Super.
  11. Tiny

Tiny Senior Member

Full time grand kid spoiler
    Holy Smoke , Just can't be to careful with either of these accidents .

12. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Hate to hear that 95ziV. On jobsites we try to think ahead of possible hazards to Life & limb and correct the job as needed to lessen risk of injury or God forbid a death. On a positive note I did get some good news friday evening......... This isn't work related but more recreational. Buddy Jim had some trouble with his airplane and somehow by the grace of God managed to "stick" it in the treetops. No major injuries and they all walked away from it. :) www.whas11.com/news/indiana/French-...e-crashes-in-tree-near-airport-227447451.html

13. Buckethead

Buckethead Senior Member

Operator
    Sorry to read this. My condolences to his loved ones.

14. seohhdny

seohhdny Member

dept of public works employee
    Sorry for your loss! Sorry for his family's loss! Sometimes friends and family don't realize what type of situations operators are put in to get the job done. I hope every safety precaution was taken and it was just a Very unfortunate accident. These types of events make you think of jobs we operators have done in the past that just happened to work out in our favor, but realize some day it might not.