• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fat Allis Next Surgery

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
decided was time to at least get the old gal
prepped and under controlled atmosphere.
In the ahed now just awaiting phase two.
Transmission change first, tie up some loose ends while in that hole then IF that works well back in the hole, hard nose off radiator comes out for either full cleaning or swap to spare, rails come off and if can get the energy the right truck frame off to work right final/sprocket.
10CC3D73-8FBA-4548-97AD-E8697689DB32.jpeg DAD4B52F-85E3-46DE-8194-E70CFA8131C8.jpeg 8CD00101-12C2-47E0-B11F-C4B8990A9FBC.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When get it all completed will look more like the old donor I bought with sweeps type operator cage then I can reseal the trans I remove(Already have seals) palletize my spare remnants off the donor and pack stuff away for failures. Have some small engine oil leaks, have some minor work as swapping to single wire alternator, converting to 24V NG replace all electrical cabling, clean up floorpans reinstall shields on Idlers and sprockets and rail guides/rock guards, just a bunch of catch up work as is overdue. Get it clean enough it may get a decent bath and a Dupont Overhaul Treatment.

The donor as got it:
DSC03190.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
After a BAD Day yesterday went out Deer hunting this morning, FINALLY, got to watch a small buck, six maybe eight point clear the North fence and start across our hay field, been alternating getting Fat Allis work, Honey Do's and gathering pieces from shed with deer season. Fence is right at 140 yds from my seated point, three deep terraces and fairly deep Brome Grass, let him move down where he was stretching his stride and I lined up a lead to L Fr Shoulder, just as I touch it off he either stumbled, stepped Down to backside of terrace head, whatever and then Off to the Races from the noise. Set a few moments, NO noise as far as death rattles or brush kicking so walk up to where pulled the trigger, NO Blood, Found the hoof prints, found the point where jumped the hay field and then West end field fences Still NO Blood. No doubt I fully missed.

Back to more boring stuff, I did yesterday gather up the loose iron and many of my to be used pieces. I also have what is presumed as THE Last known to exist Sprocket/finals shaft seal for 7G, 6G and 11B series tractors. One complex POS that does work when installed correctly. And of course the resealed trans sitting awaiting install.IMG_6638.JPG IMG_6639.JPG IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6644.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Left the wildlife to rest as it is Sunday
Got over being mad at myself so back in here.
FA is now a pile O pieces, oil in floor and a mess to do some cleaning on. Good place for a break. The reason for the massive hole is Contortion and Agile do not reflect upon my physique any longer!!
8D010B91-3582-407E-833E-C9FBEBC45A89.jpeg 12B65D5F-58C2-43CF-9295-73745EC7F8CB.jpeg 9A8C73D3-F5D7-488D-AAAA-5F2196C0F5C5.jpeg 11E86491-17FC-4BF3-9AC1-CAB2127EFE91.jpeg
That last one should leave JY with indigestion!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Left the wildlife to rest as it is Sunday
Got over being mad at myself so back in here.
FA is now a pile O pieces, oil in floor and a mess to do some cleaning on. Good place for a break. The reason for the massive hole is Contortion and Agile do not reflect upon my physique any longer!!
View attachment 205781 View attachment 205782 View attachment 205783 View attachment 205784
That last one should leave JY with indigestion!!

Naw I can handle the Stag. Not my first choice lol but it’ll do!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I purchased seals to reseal the now spare I just pulled, will see how well the OE box does with the new seals in it before go that far. The removed box did as expected, air whistles thru every point that oil should be retained. Explains some of the trans oil rapid heatup rate. Now to dig out the installation gaskets and seals clean it up some then reassemble. Will not get a full bath until proves out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna Fess up, did NOT get the deer I was seeing, evidently My shooting is back to CRAP!! Had two GREAT aspect shots at him now known as the Grey Ghost, last look at him was a defined eight point. Missed BOTH Times and with two Different weapons, KNEW it was I SUCKED BAD. Season was over yesterday, so went out on the deck at 6:20am and as the sun rose watched that SAME deer moseying thru the Brome field I had taken BOTH shots at him in.
Best guess was at roughly 100-130 yards both shots, on the move but not excessively fast, so after second miss as I cursed all the way back to the house dragged out a old piece of plywood I had up sighting in a .22 last year, walked off roughly what I had been shooting distance wise and only kept one of three on the board 2'x3' and that one was low left, first weapon missed with came back out, four shots Two on sheet, Low Left, definitely 'Pulling' the shots. Back to Practice Practice Practice!!!!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Box is in, got as far as finishing up Trunnion and got tired of standing on my head. So far a good day should be able to finish this tomorrow and test drive/leak checks. Yesterday was looking at Seat, made up panels for both arm rests and a new seat back, took those and bottom cushion to local upholsterer for repairs, took both tractor seats and refurbed one base, will get better seat belt system added to it as well.

IMG_6682.JPG IMG_6684.JPG IMG_6696.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well today was a Battle Royale, all the extraneous stuff back on and in, dropped a few bolts had to Up Down Up Down most of day as well stand on head time. Got it refilled as finished up only necessities in operating area not even floor pans and lit it off. Pump derived suction relatively quick, No leaks noted, cycled shifter with brakes applied all good so drove out to the Driveway down the hill. Shifted well and solid Lo to HI Forward, seemed a little sluggish once or twice but not as once was, shifted up to Lo reverse and then to Hi rev, all of a sudden stopped liked set brakes. Back to Lo Rev and moving good, shift to N and STILL IN Lo Rev. CRAP!! Tried all positions, clutches work as supposed to just locks up except for Lo Reverse, have a hard failure something I missed on assembly, bad/stacked clutch plate, bad bushing or thrust bearing something Physical as will not release from LO Reverse ever. Did note trunnion stops in any other gear and when in reverse or while still had forward stall on converter is around 1500rpm on a 1750rpm engine. Seal did the trick in the shifting now have to figure out this hard fault. At least BACK inside shop, where can reseal the Other monster and reset it then open this Can O Worms and figure out this fault.

Took wife to dinner, said screw it until can get seals in the spare then will beat on it again.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Think I am going back to bed and NOT get up until after April.

Got my OTHER Allis out, had to apply Block heater last evening to get to start this morning(COLD Natured) and dumped our burning barrel in the typical ditch. Brought it back to shop so could fill and touch off the barrel then go to move the old 180 Back down to the barn, No Start. Will NOT crank, amps drive over gauge limit, starter squeals but no turn. Put a wrench on crankshaft to verify NOT locked and is fine, try start again, starter(LUCAS) locked tighter than Dick's Hatband. W T F.

Mother Deuce

Think I am going back to bed and NOT get up until after April.

Got my OTHER Allis out, had to apply Block heater last evening to get to start this morning(COLD Natured) and dumped our burning barrel in the typical ditch. Brought it back to shop so could fill and touch off the barrel then go to move the old 180 Back down to the barn, No Start. Will NOT crank, amps drive over gauge limit, starter squeals but no turn. Put a wrench on crankshaft to verify NOT locked and is fine, try start again, starter(LUCAS) locked tighter than Dick's Hatband. W T F.
You said it all... "LUCAS"

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
LUCAS, Despise their components, but alas, Allis did not have a Delco series on the 180s except Gas Engines. Did NOT care for Lucas on the Brit machines either that my Dad and I had the dubious distinction to have worked on.

Old one is OFF, not locked but dead short in winding, was still Heat Hot when took it off, replacement is ordered.

IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6715.JPG

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not Complicated, just Confusing!! Single Actuators for Two ranges F or R, will get this apart then explain. Will start here as to that front Cover, are Two Collector Heads Top and Bottom shaft ends, there are Two oil ports in each of these Collector Heads, top one fed thru drilled riflings, the lower by tube or hoses to shift the ranges Lo or Hi. Shift control valve mounts to opposite side in photo(Aluminum tape Visible). The large head in the cylindrical area is the Suction Strainer position for the Steering and the Trans pump suctions, that is fed off a Second stage on the trans pump drawing from Main case and Final housing scavenge zones. Is a real Prick to get out to clean.

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Do you have a starter shop nearby? New replacement sometimes you get the same problems, if a shop can work on what you got maybe they can see the problems and make improvements, I don't know. I just took our local shop the starter out of our 1970s Cat fork lift, they seemed all apologetic that it cost like $200 to fix, they seemed to replace almost every component including the armature and housing, and they turned it around in one day, I was very happy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Lucas are the Oddball. Used to be a Shop in Wentzville that would work them, the owner retired and no one picked up the business, next up is Jefferson City, that shop will inspect Delco units but if is beyond small parts decline the time investment and refer to exchange program units. Last up is KC, is a Starter shop that will look at and work Lucas, they state up front NO Guarantees as the parts are now Korean and are generally iffy at best for longevity. Last Allis I swapped a starter on was a 190 in Salem MO, estimate to repair was $165, he bought a New one thru CNH dealer for $127 back then, core was left at the shop with the inspection fee. This one is a direct bolt up and likely built of same parts, $145 NEW.