• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fast Internet for Gypsies or Those Sick of Their Landlines

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just thought I would let all you guys know about this. If you move around, or are in need of alternatives.

Around here my ancient DSL line can't be upgraded and will be cancelled if I ever miss a payment or whatever. The phone co. wants rid of me.

Well Verizon wireless has a true unlimited plan again. Speeds range from better to way better than my old DSL. It has been 100% reliable so far. 10+ Mbps down, 4-6 up but my signal is not even that great here.

The catch is you have to get it on their prepaid side. $65 per month if you autopay with a card.

I can walk you through it on this thread if it interests anybody.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you use a certain amount of data do they slow it down? I need something for the shop and the normal options aren’t out here....

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I haven't seen a single one that doesn't either slow it down and or cap you when you go over their limits.... of sure they say unlimited... but they don't mean the unlimited in websters. ;)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
They do not slow it down after any data limit. They may push you down temporarily if everyone else is hogging it. I think that happens sometimes but it goes from 10 megs to 6 megs. Still way faster than anything else I can get.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Although a bit high for regular access it does sound good if you need lots of data.... I wonder what their fine print says... personal data use only??? or some other sort of restrictions based on type of use?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’m game given my options at the shop. That’s cheaper than anything else I can get. Thanks for the heads up!!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Go to verizonwireless.com/prepaid. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see Jetpack Plans -> Unlimited GB $65/mo. That is the one you want. The device is $50. I skipped their device and got a heavy metal device to wire into the network but if all you need is wifi for a laptop their device should be fine. 2 day shipping.

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I have Verizon and can not stand them. If I had a viable option I would drop them in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned they are crooks. Your data will slow after 15 megabytes!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have no love for Verizon but I have been running this service a couple days now serving all the computers here including some of the enormous photos on this site, Youtube etc. and it has been flawless so far.

They do throttle video to 720 (I am not even sure what that means) but apart from that and the network congestion clause there seem to be no gotchas. If you search the internets there are a lot of RVers who like it too.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Also I partly work inside radio sites and I can tell you for 100% certain that Verizon has the biggest and strongest network by far. Of course there are exceptions in any one spot but in the sticks it is most likely to work. They have the biggest network because they bought all the little guys before others realized cell phones were going to be for the masses.

Wytruckwrench

That sounds like a good deal. I was considering Netbuddy for the grandkids to be able to watch tv here. Netbuddy uses the AT&T network. It doesn’t do all that well here. Verizon does well on my booster here at home.
Thank you

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just got run through the wringer trying to order a second line from them. Make sure you ship the device to the same address on your driver license. Or just buy the device on ebay and tell them you want to activate your own device.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have Verizon Unlimited as there is 3 options of unlimited I have the 2 to best one of the 3. Copied and pasted this from my account...

4G LTE only. After 22GB, during times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps after 15 GB/mo. Domestic data roaming at 2G speeds; int'l data reduced to 2G speeds after 512 MB/day.

I live off the grid

Jeckyl1920

Service depends on area. In so cal, Verizon is by far top dog. I can stream HD movies all day every day and never slow down.

The unlimited is true unlimited. If it's for a cellular device, they will cap it for using it as a hotspot, but a that the only restriction I know of.

It's probably the most expensive, but I can literally stream from TJ to San Francisco with no drops.

tpitt

Occupation
I agree they have the best cellphone coverage, but their internet sucks, I also have the supposedly best unlimited plan on both our cells. We also have two ipads with data so I use them for hotspots.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
This plan is a totally new thing and is unlimited for Jetpacks only. Like a phone on hotspot mode but with no phone. No 22 gb limit or any such nonsense.

It only comes from the prepaid side though. Postpaid or any other way the plan is not available.

tpitt

Occupation
Thanks, I'll have to check into it! I guess enough people complained to them.