• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Farm site drainage questions

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
I'm trying to help dad make some water stay away from the new shop he just put up and the new barn the will be going up. The barn will be on the south side of the shop in the pics, approx 8 feet away since we haven't figured out how to route water away for sure. I'm more worried about moving too much dirt and end up with a mess.

I've uploaded some pics of the site.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/jorlee/farm%20site/

I'll take any suggestions, and willing to take more pics if need be.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
are you having trouble getting water in the barn or standing water what kind of water problem. you could put gravel down or drain tile in terrace around on the uphill side

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Mainly during spring thaw. Would get water in the shop, run right through it. Probably can terrace it away. How big a conscern is taking too much dirt away, then putting it back, and not getting it compacted good enough.

I'm just way confused right now, and don't want to move too much undisturbed dirt right now. The more I think about it the more lost i make myself.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Not sure of your location but if it was my neck of the woods firstly install a twin wall filter drain,depending on the volume of water maybe a 9" half carrier pipe. (better to have too much capacity than too little.) This depending on ground conditions etc, I would place it about 4' from the exterior walls of the shed and lay a concrete path/apron around the shed with a fall from the building to the filter drain but that in my neck of the woods,where we don't have any serious frost or snow but we have lots of water to deal with.