1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Fancy Low Rider Log Trucks

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by Birken Vogt, Aug 1, 2018.

1. check

check Senior Member

We have to realize the main beneficiary of limited vehicle lifespan is bankers. If everything we buy lasts the same length of time as the payments, bankers get to charge interest on money "issued" by the Federal Reserve (not their own money, not depositors money). The bankers are greater beneficiaries than the manufacturers themselves.
    Also of note is the fact that none of the manufacturers truly compete. If they did, one would make vehicles that lasted and put the others out of business.

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Somehow I doubt bankers are smart enough to manipulate the manufacture of vehicles or equipment to their benefit. And the theory of building vehicles to last, well the real money
    is in OEM parts sales and dealer service. That's the reason for proprietary parts and keeping repair info reined in. And truck sales-Freightliner has 33% of the market.

Hallback and JPV like this.
  3. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Why disc brakes on the steers?

4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    The disc on steer axle seems to have a good life span, why? I can't answer that as of now. But I have a feeling it has to do with the fact it is running in less road dust and grime as the axles behind it,
    plus the caliper is more open and it plus rotor have a better cool air supply.

5. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

better life than 5" drums?

6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Probably about the same, best guess. The steer axle always has a better life span on brakes.

7. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Yeah, I have usually seen 3-4 times more life than drives

8. 4x4ford

4x4ford Well-Known Member

aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
    The company I drive for now seems to retire their trucks at about a million miles currently they are getting rid of anything with any emissions past egr and also anything that’s not a 60 series Detroit

Hallback likes this.
  9. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    I love disc on all axles!

10. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    You will until you have to start spending for major parts.

Hallback likes this.
  11. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Uh oh, spill the beans Mr.

12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook