1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by Old Doug, Jan 22, 2015.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I only made two loads when scrap crossed $250/ton, have managed to catch a few instances over $140 recently but the average stays low anymore. Can remember scrapping for extra cash in '76, three of us made $10,000 clear in a year thought we were pooping in the Tall Cotton back then!!

2. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

How much was it in 76 ? If it would go up close to $ 200.00 i would sell alot of prodject stuff but i cant see that happening.When i started it was around $60.00 in Kc i had a 1967 GMC and a 16' tralier. They would pay more if you hauled over 5 tons so i always had over 5 ton. I made 4 trips a week for several years i couldnt spend all the money i was makeing.I dont know why i didnt get a biger truck and trailer and make less trips.

3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I think we were getting $55/ton average, low as $45, highs would bump $75, what made our year was a 'Copper Tube' low pressure boiler received in what I believe was error from a strip mine scrap contract along with Several DOZEN aluminum bar three phase high HP conveyor squirrel cage motors. Those brought us the big coin. Worked for almost three months weekends and after hours event went without vacation time to scrap out at the mine.

4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Likely subjected to asbestos from insulation matts, various types of transformer oil(PCBs?), all manner of friction plates and shoes likely asbestos covered, who knows what the hell was inside the motor windings, know we saw Mica but maybe asbestos too. Old transformers for the motors had Sheet windings, copper close to 1/16" thick 2' wide at times some 150-250 lbs per device. We were getting $1.35/lb back in the day!!! for copper and $.95/lb aluminum. Can still see those end of month paydays.

Mother Deuce likes this.
  5. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I hauled a load of shred this morning $115.00. Ii was the kind of load that your glade to get rid of.It it wasnt so muddy i would load another.

DMiller likes this.