• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
Actually if the clatclysms don't abate. scrap should be worth more. no matter what the world does . its easier to recycle scrap than make new steel ,copper aluminum etc. back in the 1800,s iron mongers & blacksmiths where in high demand. Galena Lead from Galena iIllinois was floated down the Mississippi on rafts to New Orleans and shipped around the world. Mike Fink the Legendary River Rafter. was headed downstream on the Misssissippi River. A steam boat was headed upstream. used to be prior to steam boats the loaded rafts headed downstream had the right to the channel. After steam boats new rule Rafts where supposed to give the channel to steam boats. Mike Fink made his own rules. Mike wouldn't give way. The steam boat captian didn't realize this wasn't a ordonary raft. It was bigger and loaded with lead. He thought I just run the raft over. And he played chicken with the wrong guy. The steam boat was heavily damaged and sunk ad the broilers exploded scalding folks to death. Mike Fink & the raft survived and continued south. Do a google search for the US Navy Future Map. The times they are a changing!

Old Junk Man

Occupation
retired
Im in the Ozark foothills. In on the rock about 100 miles as a crow flies from New Madrid. If we gat a big one on the new Madrid. from the black river at Pocahontas all the way to the rock on the east side of the Mississippi. That whole delta might liquefy and revert back to the swamp it previously was? he elevation on the east side of black river is about 275 feet. The top of my hill is 450 feet. When the 11 point floods a great amount. My hill becomes a island

lantraxco

"You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction",.... hmmm, mmm,mmm..

"You are now entering a new era, please set your whiskey compass back 176 degrees and hold onto something solid..."

1968 Case 580CK

antpoo......No habla espanol, amigo. ha ha ha. Or, is that French? Whatever will be, will be, and some of us will be prepared for it.....like in the Ozarks, or Appalachian Mtns.

1968 Case 580CK

Old JunkMan.......Ole Mike Fink was someone you didnt mess with.....reminds me of good ole General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CS. Good point.....as the world sees major catastrophies, the mining/steel industry could be down for months/years....and all your scrap will be like gold.

1968 Case 580CK

Old JunkMan......Shoot, even the US Navy has a map showing its predictions.....shows the Gulf of Mexico going all the way up to Chitown, and ole Miss looking to be about 200 miles wide. That farm of mine 50 miles south of O'leans might be in trouble some day. (Remember Samuel Clemens?). All that gas fracking out there seems to be detonating alot of earthquakes.

Old Junk Man

Occupation
retired
I drive old 66 GMC trucks. And we keep them running from my parts hoard. The same with my tractors I have junk ones just like those we use. I bought a second td14 A just to part out to keep my other one running. Ive got three New Holland hay bailers. Use one for parts. If things go really bad and there isn't any new being built. the old non computer machines & parts will be in demand. My junk doesn't owe me a dime. Ive already001.JPGhoarded stuff 021.JPG sold more dollars in parts and scrap than what it has cost me.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sorry, I couldn't resist...:D

Tinfoil hat.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry, I couldn't resist...:D

Just make sure you have the foil on with the shinny side out to deflect the beams, or is it shinny side in to reflect you thoughts back in so they can't read them? Dam maybe I'll have to use two layers one in and one out just to be safe, cost is going to double there goes my budget!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Just make sure you have the foil on with the shinny side out to deflect the beams, or is it shinny side in to reflect you thoughts back in so they can't read them? Dam maybe I'll have to use two layers one in and one out just to be safe, cost is going to double there goes my budget!

That's why I use two layers, one shiny out and one shiny in.;)

1968 Case 580CK

Old JUnk Man......Yep, you are being very wise.....and frugal.....and helping the environment by keeping old iron running and not buying new foreign junk. Great minds think alike:

Heres are a couple of my old Chevy's:
69 Chevy Rust Repairs 042.jpg
I definately do need to find a good old rusty parts truck.....to have on hand.

Viking 7-12-2012 028.jpg

EMP ready......points/plugs and roll starting all the way.

1968 Case 580CK

I just solder a bunch of 1 oz silver buffalos on top an old WWI helmet.....that silver is great for deflecting almost anything.....and I can run two wires to it, drop it in a barrel of ionized water, run some amps across it, and make my collodial silver to boot.

ha ha.

Old Junk Man

Occupation
retired
you gotta make sure the tin foil hat is properly grounded.

Old Junk Man

Occupation
retired
Old JUnk Man......Yep, you are being very wise.....and frugal.....and helping the environment by keeping old iron running and not buying new foreign junk. Great minds think alike:

Heres are a couple of my old Chevy's:
View attachment 136685
I definately do need to find a good old rusty parts truck.....to have on hand.

View attachment 136686

EMP ready......points/plugs and roll starting all the way.
I also hav one of those 61 chevy Vikings, they have the torsion bar front suspension. Ive got at least 100 chevy & GMC trucks from 1955 all the way to 72. and a few square cabs from the 70,s & 80,s. the GMC,s PK,s have rear leaf springs. I like them better than the chevy rear coil springs.

td25c

Scrap iron is around $ .05 a pound in my area . Down quite a bit from a few years ago but that's ok , probably where it needs to be price wise .

Nice looking trucks 1968 Case 580CK !

We just finished up a job today spreading stone with a 1966 Chevy C 60 piece of scrap iron .

I noticed some big trouble with the small block Chevy engine today ............... The water pump started leaking ...... The parts store wants 20 bucks for a new pump . Good lord ..... What should I do ?

Is it best to scrap the truck & get a newer model ?

Attachments

• 100_3375.jpg
    100_3375.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 271

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Scrap iron is around $ .05 a pound in my area . Down quite a bit from a few years ago but that's ok , probably where it needs to be price wise .

We just finished up a job today spreading stone with a 1966 Chevy C 60 piece of scrap iron .

I noticed some big trouble with the small block Chevy engine today ............... The water pump started leaking ...... The parts store wants 20 bucks for a new pump . Good lord ..... What should I do ?

If you rip the pump apart and the bearings are still serviceable the seals are pretty generic if I remember right... so with a bit of time, rtv, and a seal should be fixable for far less than 20 bucks :) otherwise I say scrap it ;)

Old Junk Man

Occupation
retired

I the bearing is still good. Remove the drive pulley & fan. There is a round vent hole at the top and a rectangular weep hole at the bottom. Get a large tube of silicone like fits in a calking gun. And fill it up Hold your finger over the bottom weep hole and pack it full. Let it set 24 hours and the shaft will be stuck. it willdreak free pretty easy. and it wont leak again until the bearing goes out.

td25c

If you rip the pump apart and the bearings are still serviceable the seals are pretty generic if I remember right... so with a bit of time, rtv, and a seal should be fixable for far less than 20 bucks :) otherwise I say scrap it ;)

I called the corporate office & after some arguing got the ok to purchase the rebuilt water pump . Those guy's are tough to deal with....... I tell ya what ..... All they care about is making money , cold barley soda , and a good billiards game . :beatsme

Got the pump bought for $18.99 . Looks like we will be using the old C60 for awhile longer .:)

td25c

I the bearing is still good. Remove the drive pulley & fan. There is a round vent hole at the top and a rectangular weep hole at the bottom. Get a large tube of silicone like fits in a calking gun. And fill it up Hold your finger over the bottom weep hole and pack it full. Let it set 24 hours and the shaft will be stuck. it willdreak free pretty easy. and it wont leak again until the bearing goes out.

That's a good Idea Old Junk Man ! Could see it getting a feller out of a jam until the pump could be repaired or replaced .