1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by Old Doug, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I run a generator shop and have a lot of rotor and stator scrap and nobody seems interested in it. Lots of copper, but lots of iron mixed in too.

Truck Shop and DMiller like this.
  2. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

The local scrapyard will buy motors and generators. They only pay like 10 cents per pound for them, but they pay ~$2.50/pound for dirty copper. I really dont want to scrap the unit out, but after 4 years, I've realized it must not be a big priority for me to actually get it fixed. There is a generator shop about an hour from here, but I have not put out a call to them yet.

John C. and DMiller like this.
  3. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I would take the generator apart. The last one i scrapped after it was off the engine took about 3 hours to take apart. But this all depends off how much free time you have and what your time is worth. I bought a generator at a place were i was cleaning up i cant remember what i gave for it but it was the last thing i bought . I remember thinking he wanted alot for it i didnt know how it would work out but i had did ok on that job and would have bought it no matter what. I took it apart it payed me over $100.00 a hour to do it i made out very good on that deal.

John C. and DMiller like this.
  4. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

It must be alot different were you live for the wright price there are alot of guys here that would buy your scrap and clean it. I know guys that buy motors and generators from scrap yards clean them and sell it back to them.

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Do these guys have day jobs, or are they doing this to support their meth habit? It would sure be nice if some of these degenerates would actually join the workforce.

6. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

Its mainly retired guys and guys on disability that need extra money or some thing to do.Its a good deal for the scrap yard they sell AC units to them for 00.15 a pound then buy back the cleaned stuff.

John C. likes this.
  7. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

The last load of shred i sold was $95.00 ton but its been i think 3 weeks ago. I have been cleaning up some stuff that was in the way so i will haul a load monday. The non ferrous stuff has been holding ok i have hauled 2 small loads because i had to get parts and it was on the way. IMG_20220918_111443.jpg

doublewide likes this.
  8. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I took back a tiny bit of scrap yesterday . Sheet steel was .06 cents a pound , #2 copper 2.95 extruded aluminum was .29 .... was expecting the steel to be a bit more then that .

9. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I wish i would have gotten .06 a pound i got .045 a pound. I hope it dosent go down any more. If i could get .06 i would work on a cleanup job it will not pay alot but getting in over will be worth something.

10. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I do have one small advantage in that the scrap yard is 5 minutes away from me but any less then .06 lb for short steel is not worth my time or my back to load . I do have those 2 old diesel mercedes to hual in regardless of price , city wont leave me alone about them .

11. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I am holding on to some stuff for a better price but the real junk i am hauling regardless of price.

12. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

2 DIESEL MERCEDES! can't you find a bigger fool, I mean ambitious person who would at least haul them away for scrap price and save you the hauling and pay for some of the hassle of dealing with crazy people?

doublewide likes this.
  13. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

As easy as that would be to do any scrap money is going into my pocket for a project i have.

doublewide likes this.
  14. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

From what i have found there is alot less crazy scraping than there is selling a prodject.