• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Falling Scrap Iron prices

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am gonna have a load come the cleanup of the KW Detritus already pulled. Still have some leftovers in the barn to go too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I heard at a conference I attended on line that it should be going up in the near future. I generally don't like it laying around if it is something I can't use so most of my junk went away when the market bottomed anyway.

lantraxco

I heard at a conference I attended on line that it should be going up in the near future. I generally don't like it laying around if it is something I can't use so most of my junk went away when the market bottomed anyway.
The damn price of new steel is going up weekly, they damn well better raise the price of scrap or there won't be any new steel to build with, structural, rebar, or machinery!

Old Doug

I sold most of mt catalatic converters to day and i think i have my aluminum iragation tubing sold i cant weight to get rid of that mess. The best part is i dont have to cut it up or haul it very far.

Walker1

Thats me too, buy high sell low!

Walker1

When i was doing it every day i made money but doing it part time it would take a good account to figure if i made anything.
I built a 4’ cube dumpster. They can use the forklift rotator to dump it at the scrap yard I use. So I just haul it in when its full and I need some more space. I used to use 55 gallon drums, this is a far superior method. I don’t really do it for the money, more just to manage my own waste output.

lantraxco

Just read where Chicago price for shred has hit $450 a ton... I need to call the local highway robbers and see what they're paying for #2.

Old Doug

Just read where Chicago price for shred has hit $450 a ton... I need to call the local highway robbers and see what they're paying for #2.
I dont know if there is any thing like scrap when it comes to prices every one has a different price every one is giving more and every one is getting more than the next guy.

lantraxco

I dont know if there is any thing like scrap when it comes to prices every one has a different price every one is giving more and every one is getting more than the next guy.
Too true. We're about 225 miles from Portland and the Schnitzer docks, so the best price is to be a mass volume sorted and prepared source direct to Schnitzer. Locally here, we have two scrap buyers, both of which sell to larger scrap companies in Eugene which is about a hundred miles away. Now they either deliver direct to Schnitzer, or there's yet another middle man in between. Each takes a cut, lowering what we get, minus trucking to Portland. Ugly game.

Old Doug

I did haul every thing to Kansas City i would leave home early to beat the traffic but traffic got thicker and thicker so i started going to ST Joseph less traffic and there is a back road 2 lane highway. There is also a place halfway that will give me $10.00 to $15.00 a ton less i sell alot of stuff to him that is bulky thats hard to make a heavy load with.

Old Doug

I hauled 4 loads this week even with it raining almost nonstop. My brother hauled shingles over for the farm house so i loaded his trailer up so he will sell it Monday . Price is around $140.00. I priced my trailer to a guy if he buys it i will sell other trailer and some how end up with a bigger one.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Getting another load built up here off my old junk repairs. Should be close to a ton on my trailer now and will only bring around $120 for the lot. Three scrap dealers nearby, all about the same distance, prices vary up to $30 a ton and none have any further haul than the others.

Old Doug

I am getting started on my aluminum i wanted to get a 30 foot van trailer to use but they seem hard to find and having time to look for one. I have enough stuff that it will take several trips so a trailer would pay for its self and my pickup to pull the small trailer isnt the greatest . Copper is at a good price right now also.

Old Doug

Hauled a load of aluminum today i got .78 for wheels .45 /.50 for other aluminum. I wasnt crazy about it but a good customer had some more iragation pipe. They said they would give .56 if i cut the bells off and cut it in half. I think it will take 2 trips. Unless its about free i dont want to deal with any more of that pipe.