• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fair Value:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I now own the lift. The real estate property sold and they became reasonable in their expectations/price so bringing it home Thursday after they get the area around it cleaned up.

1693TA

Occupation
They finally cleared a path to back up to for loading. Thinking I'll probably want to get the engine running as the wheels are spread wide which makes it just over 10.5ft in width. Judging by the steering linkage, it looks like the wheels can come in about two feet on each side. Engine does pull over by hand pressure on the fan blade and everything is connected. Hopefully a fresh battery will allow it to start fairly easy.

Talked to the grandson whom was making attempt to get the lift operational a couple years ago. He tells me the engine runs well on gasoline and the basket controls are the problem. He stated the unit drove and turned easily via the controls, but the boom elevation, extension, and basket turntable were "sketchy" at best. A ground cable was suspect, but they couldn't round up an electrical diagram so quite working with it.

I have just about two weeks to get it out of there as the new owners take possession of the property on the 1st of December and there are still a lot of things to decipher about what is what or goes where to have an auction. It is evident the deceased was fond of Allis-Chalmers farm tractors having about a dozen along with an AC loader dozer, (HD-5G). Snaking out in the back is an old Caterpillar D-2 also, but I didn't get a good look at it.

1693TA

Occupation
Stopped by last evening with a jumper box in the route truck after delivering a small compact tractor. The engine readily spins with the starter, but there was no ignition spark. The machine did have battery voltage to the coil. Having only a screwdriver and pliers with me for tools, I opened the distributor cap finding the breaker points are opening and closing, but not arcing. I'll pick up a new coil and go from there.

Still cannot locate any serial number stamping(s) anyplace on the machine although it looks to be either a 60H, or 70H series by appearance. I do think it is a 70H series given it has the 19.5" tires.

upload_2020-11-17_5-57-35.png

1693TA

Occupation
I did and thanks. Went ahead and got cap, rotor, points, capacitor/condensor, wires, and spark plugs. I had pulled the coil and ballast resistor last evening and brought it home as didn't have a meter and couldn't "ring", or measure anything. Coil secondary is found open, and the resistor is quite corroded, so going to replace the whole shebang at once.

Complete unit holds 70 gallons hydraulic oil and there is seepage evidence under the unit. No tellings since the fluid, or filters were last changed and I don't know if there is enough oil in the system to work anything, so will take a few gallons with me in a pony tank next time.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
it's not a 60H, looks like a 60F to me. Are you sure it's a Ford engine? They came with a White GS1600 (Hercules).

If they want $3500 for it, they better get it running & operational first.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
with the axles extended as those are now, it's a shade over 8 feet wide. Can't legally haul it without sucking the axles in, or getting permits.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
I can make out the remnants of an "H" in the model number decal but that's about it as the "60", or "70" is gone or painted over heavily. The engine is a Ford as it has the oval with the script cast into the block. The engine is a replacement but the same model and type as the original. I have no history on the changeover.

With the wheels as they are now the machine measures just over 10.5ft in width. Centerline of the tires measurement is 103" both front and rear. Being unable to locate a serial number stamping leaves me without definitive assurance of exactly what model it is.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
This is what a 60H looks like.
https://www.liftstoday.com/listing/auction-results/30870899/jlg-60h-telescopic-boom-lifts

This is what a 60F looks like.

Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, just want to help you not waste your time & efforts. Serial number should be on the front of the post the basket is mounted on. Under the basket control box. The plates often got knocked off. Rivets might still be there. Date is somewhere between 1976 and 1982

1693TA

Occupation
No worries at all as I have no experience with these things. Looking at the video you referenced the pedestal on mine does resemble the similar on the "F" series but mine is much taller:

upload_2020-11-17_21-46-46.jpeg

I have not looked in the basket area for a serial number as it's full of hoses and such needing cleaned out.

This lift has several layers of paint on it and I'm sure the decals were replaced at one time or another, but one definitely appears to be an "H" at the end and I swear the number 70 was seen also.

Update:

I just got off the phone with the grandson of the former owner whom has located the purchase receipt for the lift. It is an "80F" series purchased in March 1992 used from a local and now defunct rental outfit. The serial number is not located on this receipt but it plainly states "80F" as a model number. I looked on JLG's website and finding a manual for this series reveals they look very close except this lift does not have extendable outriggers. It originally was Ford powered, (as is now) and the photos of the original engine from the manual looks identical to the engine currently installed.

I think we are unraveling the mystery surrounding this lift and I'm grateful. No time wasted nor am I upside down in it.

Thanks kindly and feel free to pitch anything pertinent out there as I really have no experience with man lifts at all.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Ah, an 80F, that explains a lot. They came with a Ford 300 truck engine in them. Also explains why your axles are so wide. 60F's are between 8ft and 9 ft wide. Most 80F's had outriggers, I've never seen one without outriggers in fact, until now. That's a big, heavy brute of a machine.
6 cylinder Perkins diesel was another engine option on them I've seen. Looks like fun. :)

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
The engine currently installed is a four cylinder Ford engine. I looked at the service manual and it does not identify the engine at all but looking at a photo it's clear to be a six cylinder. Something is awry here for sure.

1693TA

Occupation
The manual reads as if the outriggers were incorporated if extendable axles were not. It also appears to relate the outriggers were not included if extendable axles. It doesn't state the outriggers were an option, but never includes them in the other's description meaning outriggers with extendable axles.

Puzzling so far as the grandson tells me they replaced a four cylinder Ford engine with a like engine so apparently this machine has had an engine change from the original 240, or 300 six Ford engine originally built with. The manual does state Ford, Detroit Diesel, (4-53), and Deutz Diesel, (F6L912) were all options. No engine sizes are listed but I'm referencing engines from physical appearance. Nothing listed for Perkins. The Ford engine was "dual fuel" with the others being diesel and the Ford engine was 132hp @ 3600rpm.

Having the machine drilled down to the correct series I'll look in other places for placards containing a serial number and be able to research an "as built" print.

Thanks,

colson04

That lift will certainly be underpowered with the 4 cylinder Ford. My 45HA has the 1.6L Ford, dual fuel and it uses ever pony (46hp ish?) when booming up, and certainly runs out of power when driving. More than once while driving, I have lugged the engine right down to a stall. It has the 3 drive speeds (crawl, regular, high travel) and will not take off on pavement in the high travel mode. I have to get the machine rolling in regular travel and then flip the high travel switch and it will speed up. Not sure if that's normal operation procedure or not though.

The 300 six would probably compliment your lift much more appropriately, given your higher machine weight.

1693TA

Occupation
My thoughts too on the underpower. I have access to a low horsepower, (160hp) non intercooled B5.9 Cummins diesel from a 1990, or 1991 Dodge truck that runs very well and could be installed if an engine swap is needed. Don't really think I'd elect to stay with a gasoline engine whatever went into it as most of my equipment is diesel powered.

It appears from the manuals that an 80FO is the series with outriggers, and model 80F is the extendable axles version. Apparently the 80F version weighs right at 33,000 pounds as seen here from the service manual:

upload_2020-11-18_18-49-40.png
upload_2020-11-18_18-51-23.png
upload_2020-11-18_18-52-13.png

Regardless, this is a big lift. A couple of my buddies have offered to grab it for me with their RGN trailers so transport doesn't seem to be a problem running or not. If I cannot get the unit to function, I'll take over my portable hydraulic pumping unit to get the boom up at least high enough to load onto a trailer.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Perfect engine for it. I was thinking the same thing this afternoon. Find a rusted out old 80's Dodge with a mechanical 5.9 Cummins, no turbo. I've seen one of those engines last 22,000 hours with nothing more than a head gasket and one injection pump. Great engine.

1693TA

Occupation
I continue to learn through reading the manuals as now have all three downloaded onto my desktop computer. I have a small job to do this morning blasting on a truck I just shortened and then plan to get back over to the lift for some preliminary work; ie tune up to get the engine to fire.

Thanks kindly,

1693TA

Occupation
The engine runs very well. Started right up with a replacement coil installed. I could only get the hydraulic steering, basket swivel, basket level, and boom telescoping in and out functions to work. Could not get the machine to move, swing, or elevate. Shifting the diverter valve to "axles" rather than steering does attempt to pull the axles in, but I'd bet the machine needs to be rolling for that to happen. I'm thinking there may not be a relay string pulling in but I've not studied a print yet so just guessing at this point. The boom elevation toggle switch in the ground control panel feels lazy and I'm kinda thinking the switch may be bad. If so, the boom switch in the basket is in series with this ground control position so is suspect till proven otherwise. I found a couple of solenoid valves with the wires corroded off but jumpering the coils did make them operate but still couldn't get the boom to react. The electric auxiliary hydraulic pump motor is not operational and I put 12VDC to it directly. The magnetic solenoid which supplies power to this motor closes as it should but the motor doesn't operate. I need to do some more reading to ascertain just what this auxiliary pumping unit is for.