1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Fair rental rate for old D8?

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by BryceH, Oct 25, 2021.

1. BryceH

BryceH New Member

I have a neighbor that has a 1960's D8 dozer. We were thinking of using it for a project. Could take us as little as 20 hours and as much as 100 hours. Machinery Trader shows they are valued between $8K and $19K.

What is a fair hourly rate including delivery and pick up? (20 miles or less)

He just threw out a $100 as a round number.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

plus delivery and pickup, sounds fair. That would be $4000 for a week.
    you can rent 100 hp dozers from Sunbelt for $2300 for a week.
    In a straight push the old 8 would move 3 times the dirt.

3. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Usually private rentals of old equipment are based on hour meter time and not days the advantage being on a stretched out project the dozer may not get many hours The disadvantage is being older equipment your expected to take care of small malfunctions and a major one can get awkward
    Given that 100 an hour on the clock sounds reasonable

Delmer likes this.
  4. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Senior Member

I'd opt for a newer smaller machine rental. The smaller unit might not move as much per push, but it will operate faster with easier controls. Guess it depends on the scope of the project. Just straight pushing large amounts of dirt or navigating quickly around with less per pass. My two cents.

5. 361brock

361brock Well-Known Member

retired
    does that $100 per hr include the operator and fuel?

6. epirbalex

epirbalex Senior Member

peasant
    I don't think age is the worry but how well it runs . There was a thread on here awhile back that wrote of two D8T's on a job site , one a spare for the other and couldn't get a day's work out of either .

bccat likes this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I was on a scraper show for Scarsella many years ago, they had 6 scrapers to run 4. The D9 was not the problem, and one day they sent all the dirt hands home when only 2 out of 6 would work. Luckily I was on an excavator!
    If the owner is proud enough of it to rent it out, it ought to run OK.

8. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    ( The disadvantage is being older equipment your expected to take care of small malfunctions and a major one can get awkward ) this is where it can be no fun , with a rental you buy rental insurance to cover your butt, if you blow tranny or toss a rod , you will be spending some scratch , and if you dont make good you wont be able to beg , barrow , or steal anything again

Flat Thunder Channel likes this.
  9. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    No way in Hell I'd rent out my 1989 dozer! I can run it myself without breakage, it's near certain a renter will bugger something up.

10. 361brock

361brock Well-Known Member

retired
    I'm with you Willie, mine is 1988

11. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

When i used to do customer jobs with my old 46a i used to charge the the same rate as an 8K. If a guy questioned it, i would tell him it costs me just as much to run this old machine as it does a newer one. I think 25 years ago i was charging $150/hr. Nowadays i wouldn't do it with my machine for less than 250/hr