• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Failure of electronic locking actuator on CAT 287D

Grant Keehn

I have a 2016 CAT 287D with 2100 hours that will no longer lock my implements into place. The locking pins are kept well-greased, however, little by little, the electric motor began to have trouble initially extending the pins. (FYI - I have completely diassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the locking assemblies to no avail.) It seems like they are retracting a tad too far and end up binding. The motor runs with the flip of the switch, and at first, if I tapped the linkage with a hammer, I could get it to advance the pins into place. Now, however, the only way it will lock is if I manually advance the linkage a bit, THEN hit the switch. Other than in the full open position, everything seems to work fine. I have even disassembled the motor and inspected the gears. They look fine. After reading another thread about a similar situation on a D-series CAT, I'm leery about replacing the motor only to find out it won't solve the problem, or like one fellow discovered, only to replace one motor assembly after the other. Anyone have a quick, cheap idea, or should I just take the advice in that other thread and put on a hydraulic retro-fit? AND, if hydraulic is the way to go, is the retro-fit a CAT product or an after market? In other words, what's a good one and where would I look to find it. Thanks as always for the help.